Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I recently bought a used 2001 xlt 1200. I took it out this past weekend (the first time it had been used this season) and it used half a gallon of oil in a day. Is this normal? Also, the machine will not go into reverse. Apparently an arm that moves the shell(?) over the back of the engine is bent and needs to be replaced. My local dealer said they can not work on it, any idea how much that will cost me elsewhere?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
323 Posts
The oil tanks hold 4 litres and you should get around 4 rides to the tank of oil so I would say that's almost correct. Maybe a little on the rich side. Better to be rich than to be lean on oil. Just buy a cable and install it yourself. Have a good look at it and work it out. Undo the ball fitting that connects to the reverse bucket, then undo the plastic nut on the cable inside the hull and you will need to undo the 2 10mm bolts and bracket attaching it to the lever. Those 2 10mm bolts and bracket are hard to reach. Best way is through the front. Don't lose them under the engine or tank! then just pull the cable out from the rear. It may get caught in places on the retaining clips beside the engine and rear fire wall. Once you have the old one out, put the new one in. Remember to put the plastic nut on as it comes through the hull. And remember to locate it properly on the lever with the bracket. Pull the female ball fitting off your old cable and put on the new one to attach to the lever. Don't over tighten the plastic nut on the hull or you will break it. Attach it to the rear bucket and it should work. It may need slight adjustments so the bucket doesn't come down un-expectedly.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Reverse cable replacement

I have a 2002 1200XLT and had to replace my reverse cable also. It had rusted inside the cable and would no longer move. IReplacement was simple. After taking out the tub in the front, I disconnected the cable. I connected a wire to the end I disconnected so when I pulled the reverse cable out from the rear it would pull the wire with it. Think of it like an electrician would do to "fish" a wire through a wall. After the old cable was pulled through, I connected the new one to the wire, then went to the front of the PWC and pulled the new reverse cable back to the front and connected it to the lever like the old one.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts