Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. New to the site...Looking at buying our first waverunner. Going to look at it, my questions are "what should I be looking for to see if something is good or bad"...it has 150 hours on it. They are going to do a compression check on it, what would be good compression for it with them hours?

Any advice would help out on what I should look for and ask?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Around 120 psi with all cylinders within 10% is what I'd look for on a used ski.

Other things to ask about specific to that ski:
1. That model has the power valves. They are prone to failure, so I'd ask if they have been replaced or fixed as to not fall into the cylinder. If not, I'd do this if you buy the ski.
2. Ask if the ski still has the original catalytic converter. This is another failure point. Many owners remove the cat. and install a "D" plate (best case). Another thing to consider doing if not done already if you buy it.
3. The oil pump and failure of the oil lines was another problem with these skis, so I'd ask if the ski has been converted to premix, and consider doing it if it has not been done already if you end up buying it.

Then you have all the other things to look at: corrosion, pump wear, etc..

Personally, I'd NEVER, EVER, buy a 10 year old (or even a 1 year old) ski without doing a test ride. That will tell you more than any compression test, etc. that you could ever do. If you don't do a test ride, I will not be surprised to see you join the 100's of other posters on this and other forums whose posts begin like this: "I just bought this used ski a week ago and now it runs like crap...............what do I do now?".

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
What does it run for a cost on fixing the power valves?

Thanx for the info
The kits sell for around $130-$150 each, and you will need 3, so around $400-$450 if you do it yourself. I'd guess double that if you pay someone to do it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts