Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a GP1200R last year from a widow... who knew little about the jetski. I took it out on the lake and had a great week or two of play. It would start okay, but then run really well.

After a few weeks, it suddenly started shutting down on the water. I would wait 5-10 minutes and be able to barely restart and make my way to the trailer. I would take home, charge the battery and it would start right up with no apparent issues- so I took back to water. It would repeat the same thing until I ended up parking it in my garage over winter. I am trying to get this back on the lake.

1.) I bought a new battery.. the old would not hold charge.
2.). I pulled the plugs; they had 3-different type of plugs in there with different gaps: I bought new plugs.
3.) I pulled the starter motor to bench test. It turns over fine, but the armature does not extend out at all.. does this one engage like a typical starter motor?
4.) after putting the starter motor back in and charging the battery, I get a simple click sound in the electric box (solenoid) and a hard click (no additional noises) in the starter area. It will not turn the motor over
5.) before putting the starter back in, I put my hand inside the cavity to see if I could turn over the first gear (that the starter should touch) and it spins freely... not sure if this is a secondary gear or the flywheel).

Where would you start? a.) Bypass the solenoid and see if the starter will turn the motor over b.) or pull the flywheel to see if the motor is seized.
thanks all!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I bought a GP1200R last year from a widow... who knew little about the jetski. I took it out on the lake and had a great week or two of play. It would start okay, but then run really well.

After a few weeks, it suddenly started shutting down on the water. I would wait 5-10 minutes and be able to barely restart and make my way to the trailer. I would take home, charge the battery and it would start right up with no apparent issues- so I took back to water. It would repeat the same thing until I ended up parking it in my garage over winter. I am trying to get this back on the lake.

1.) I bought a new battery.. the old would not hold charge.
2.). I pulled the plugs; they had 3-different type of plugs in there with different gaps: I bought new plugs.
3.) I pulled the starter motor to bench test. It turns over fine, but the armature does not extend out at all.. does this one engage like a typical starter motor?
4.) after putting the starter motor back in and charging the battery, I get a simple click sound in the electric box (solenoid) and a hard click (no additional noises) in the starter area. It will not turn the motor over
5.) before putting the starter back in, I put my hand inside the cavity to see if I could turn over the first gear (that the starter should touch) and it spins freely... not sure if this is a secondary gear or the flywheel).

Where would you start? a.) Bypass the solenoid and see if the starter will turn the motor over b.) or pull the flywheel to see if the motor is seized.
thanks all!
Did you check the ground wire sounds like its loose

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did check ground wire. I also verified it was within range w/ohms. I am suspecting a bendix issue, bad starter, or locked up? just weird that I can spin the gear easily with hand that the motor connects to (flywheel or bendix?)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts