Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, new to this forum
I have a 2001 Yamaha XL800 that was purchased a couple years back from my parents. Last year I took it out and for some reason I cant go full throttle in forward. It goes about the speed of a trolling motor. But when i put it in reverse I get full throttle. I'm near Portland Oregon and have tried to find someone to work on it but with no success. They say its either too old or the replacement parts are hard to find. So I'm looking for some advice on how to fix the problem myself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
43 Posts
How does the impeller look? If I had to guess you most likely have a worn impeller or the wear ring clearance is too large. One of my skis is an xl800. You can pull the pump to inspect or try and look with a good flashlight see how it looks. You can also remove the grate for better access and viewing of the impeller. Keep in mind removing the grate could create a can of worms especially if it’s never been removed. Two of the bolts are threaded into the ride plate. Usually no issues but have loctite. the other two have loctite also and are through hull fittings. Once they break free from the hull epoxy you have a big issue. Use a little torch heat on the bolts to loosen up the loctite. I’ll stress a little heat. It’ll keep the through hull fittings from spinning......most of the time

·
Registered
37 Posts
How does the impeller look? If I had to guess you most likely have a worn impeller or the wear ring clearance is too large. One of my skis is an xl800. You can pull the pump to inspect or try and look with a good flashlight see how it looks. You can also remove the grate for better access and viewing of the impeller. Keep in mind removing the grate could create a can of worms especially if it’s never been removed. Two of the bolts are threaded into the ride plate. Usually no issues but have loctite. the other two have loctite also and are through hull fittings. Once they break free from the hull epoxy you have a big issue. Use a little torch heat on the bolts to loosen up the loctite. I’ll stress a little heat. It’ll keep the through hull fittings from spinning......most of the time

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Peteysparks for your thoughtful response. Thankfully, that problem is solved. Stupidly, my exhaust hose, with the clamp on the outlet, was not secure. However, I have a new problem. I can start the jet ski on starter fluid but cannot keep it running. I have done nothing with/to the carbonation since having it running last fall. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave

·
Registered
37 Posts
Thanks Peteysparks for your thoughtful response. Thankfully, that problem is solved. Stupidly, my exhaust hose, with the clamp on the outlet, was not secure. However, I have a new problem. I can start the jet ski on starter fluid but cannot keep it running. I have done nothing with/to the carbonation since having it running last fall. Any ideas? Thanks, Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts