Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I have a problem with 2001 YAMAHA XLT 1200 limited. Bought it one month ago with 139 hours on it. Putted another 10 hours and at some point it was not going more that 40-45 mph. I decided to change plugs and in cylinder #3 (closer to the end of jet ski) side electrode was bended towards central. After another 4 hours of riding engine stopped and I was not able to start it again. So I took cylinder head and found that #3 cylinder piston was damaged (see pics). Now I don't know what to do next. I have several options: 1) buy rebuild engine for $1299 +80 shipping and install it myself. 2) Try to rebuild it myself. 3) Forget about Yamaha and buy 2001 Kawasaki 1100 for $1200.
Here is my questions: 1) How hard is it to switch engines 2)What is wrong with my engine 3)Why do I see salt water inside cylinders? 4)What to do?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Hi!
Here is my questions: 1) How hard is it to switch engines 2)What is wrong with my engine 3)Why do I see salt water inside cylinders? 4)What to do?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!
1. Well, its not too hard, but you may need a hoist and a moderate amount of mechanical skills and tools. Here is the installation guide from SBT to give you an idea: http://www.shopsbt.com/pdfs/y1200pv.pdf
2. My guess is the the #3 cylinder was going bad as soon as you noticed the power loss to 40 mph. You were running on 2 cylinders. You probably should have checked the compression then, and it would have given you a clue. It may have been a simple cylinder rebuild at that point. #3 cylinder could have dropped a power valve, oil line came off, etc..
3. Hard to know for certain the cause of failure at this point, but continued running the ski probably resulted in a rod from this cylinder going through the inside of the crankcase someplace resulting in the water in the engine.
4. With the salt water issue, I don't think rebuilding the engine is an option. Its either a new engine or a new ski. I think SBT requires an intact core for the engine.

Good Luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for fast reply!
Will I be able to see if something is wrong with the core if I will take the engine out of the ski? In other words is it possible to see if it is good or not to send it to SBT?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks for fast reply!
Will I be able to see if something is wrong with the core if I will take the engine out of the ski? In other words is it possible to see if it is good or not to send it to SBT?
Yea, once you get the engine out and the top end off you will be able to see the damage.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Going to send the engine to pwcengine to rebuild it.
Want to go premix. Can somebody explain how to do it? And also want to rebuild carbs by myself. Is there any instructions how to do it and where to get rebuild kits?

P.S. Do anybody has service manual for Yamaha 1200 XLT?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for fast reply! I've sent my engine for a complete rebuild. Now I am at the stage of doing carbs. I have question on that: 1) Do I need one rebuild kit (~50 bucks) or 3 rebuild kits?? What will you say about Made in USA but not original mikuni? Second: How to determinr that I need to replace new needle and seat? How to determine if I need to replace Valve Intake?

TAHNKS AGAIN!!!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1. Depends on the kit. You will have to check. Some kits come with everything you need for 3 carbs. $50 sounds like a 1 carb kit.
2. I recommend original parts.
3. I think it is really hard to tell if the needle or seat is bad. Some claim that you can see wear on the end of the needle, but you could have a good needle and a defective seat and never see the problem. I'd get a needle/seat kit while you are at if for each carb. They are not very expensive.
4. Don't know on the intake.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts