Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a problem with 2001 YAMAHA XLT 1200 limited. Bought it one month ago with 139 hours on it. Putted another 10 hours and at some point it was not going more that 40-45 mph. I decided to change plugs and in cylinder #3 (closer to the end of jet ski) side electrode was bended towards central. After another 4 hours of riding engine stopped and I was not able to start it again. So I took cylinder head and found that #3 cylinder piston was damaged (see pics). Now I don't know what to do next. I have several options: 1) buy rebuild engine for $1299 +80 shipping and install it myself. 2) Try to rebuild it myself. 3) Forget about Yamaha and buy 2001 Kawasaki 1100 for $1200.
Here is my questions: 1) How hard is it to switch engines 2)What is wrong with my engine 3)Why do I see salt water inside cylinders? 4)What to do?
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for fast reply!
Will I be able to see if something is wrong with the core if I will take the engine out of the ski? In other words is it possible to see if it is good or not to send it to SBT?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Going to send the engine to pwcengine to rebuild it.
Want to go premix. Can somebody explain how to do it? And also want to rebuild carbs by myself. Is there any instructions how to do it and where to get rebuild kits?

P.S. Do anybody has service manual for Yamaha 1200 XLT?

THANK YOU!!!!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for fast reply! I've sent my engine for a complete rebuild. Now I am at the stage of doing carbs. I have question on that: 1) Do I need one rebuild kit (~50 bucks) or 3 rebuild kits?? What will you say about Made in USA but not original mikuni? Second: How to determinr that I need to replace new needle and seat? How to determine if I need to replace Valve Intake?

TAHNKS AGAIN!!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts