Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just bought 2 2002 turbo 3 seaters. One runs good like it should with low hours and the other has about 140 on it and wont start. It was winterized and put away running but then when tried this year it would start off the trailer the guy told me so he never had time to look at it. It powers up and dash goes on and he said you can hear the fuel pump click on and then a click when starting. I read it can be a main relay or sounds like a starts? Anyone have this issue or knows? Also the other half of the problem is he told me when this one did run that it always ran like in the 40s and not as good as the low hour one in the 60s. I have not looked at it yet but I’m guessing it is a turbo problem? Anyone experience this before? Would it be just the waste gate stuck and not boosting or turbo just shot? But if it was shot would the ski still run ok like he said but not as fast? or my other guess was maybe the child/learn lock is on and doesn't know it....I had an 04 2 seater and lover it and know everything has to stay lubed and checked, I never had any issues. If someone can help me with these problems would be great. I have not got a chance to look at it yet but just want an idea for now.....
Also if they stay maintained good how long do these last (hours) with out rebuilds or anything?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone? i just picked them up and since they been sitting for a year or so they need some maintenance here and there and a good cleaning. on the one that wont start....put the key in and it powers on and then the warning light beeps for the battery i think it shows....if you hit start it willl "click" or " engage starter but sounds stuck like a car. also on that one the throttle cable is frozen...? whats the best thing to do for that? and on both it is hard to pull the reverse handle up and put down. with someone pushing on it she will work. the guy told me there is just rubber grommets that are in back that wear? whats the story with that? and if the ski runs but only around 40 or so and been like that for a while what could it be? stuck wastegate? learner code? i will look in to more tomorrow and try and play with them. any help would be great. thanks again

·
Registered
236 Posts
Agreed, put a new battery in them and pull the inlet tube off of the center of the turbo so you can CAREFULLY try to spin the compressor wheel on the turbo. Be careful not to loosen the nut or bend the blades. Then put new plugs in both from Advanced Auto Parts [$11 each] and some SeaFoam into the tank.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks im going to start messing with them later tonight so i will let you know and try that.
what about the reverse handles on both like i mentioned?
frozen throttle cable?

·
Registered
236 Posts
If you go to the Honda Forums on PWCTODAY.COM there is an easy fix for the swelled bushing in the reverse bucket bendix that causes the reverse to freeze up. I also might have posted it here too, try a search on here for it.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i charged that battery and the warning light went off but it still does the same thing when trying to start it....bumps the motor slightly like its stuck. i took the cover off the starter solenoid and checked that tried to jump it with a screw driver and it was the same thing a bump. question is... Where is the starter on these? i cant find it...im sure i missing it in front of my face but i have no clue.????

also i seen some oil in the turbo inlet...that normal?

thanks

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
ok so i ended up taking this thing all a part tonight.....
first off couldnt get it turned over and so i took the starter out and it had power and worked out of the motor on a charger so i put it back in and put power right to it and it still wouldnt turn the motor....(starter shot? not even amps to power anymore?)

next the throttle was stuck so i took that all apart and the trottle body blades are so gummed up they wont move you need to push it with your finger and it stays....(whats the best way to free these up and so it will not happen again? soak them? take apart? and if i do that will the TPS get messed up?)

so then i notice the turbo has oil in it but spins fine and all so when i took the starter out oil poured out of the hole up there! guy before me must have never drained it right or kept adding? i dont know why it has so much. i even took the cap of the oil fill in back and oil pours out and over flows!

so i also ended up taking the turbo off because when this one ran the guy said 40 was its top speed and i seen the turbo was all rusted and the WG would not even move at all so im guessing it was just running off the motor no boost. ( where do can i get a new WG and how much? would a universal style work or adj one? what are the specs or # on this one?)

i did take the valve cover off and it was all clean and looked good and plugs looked ok no oil on them so im guessing...a new starter, oil change, plugs, WG, and clean throttle blades and it should be up and going.

·
Registered
236 Posts
Before you get too far along, remove the coupler cover going into the pump [the black plastic cover at the rear of the engine]. Use a strap wrench or a pry bay [carefully] to try and spin the engine over. You could easily find out the engine is locked up, since we have seen very few starter failures. Ususally when your wastegate rusts stuck, it rusts in the shut position and the engine will go into an overboost alarm as soon as you hit the throttle.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
i tried and couldn't really get it to move, i dont know if it is from sitting or what. like i said too the oil is so high it is coming out of the starter hole. whoever had this one before me must not have known how to change the oil right. im going to drain the oil today not looking forward to the mess.....what now? what might be the problem?

·
Registered
236 Posts
I hope you did not buy a ski that someone sank. Also the pump liner can swell from corrosion and lock it up. Pull the pump off and see if it will spin over.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I hope you did not buy a ski that someone sank. Also the pump liner can swell from corrosion and lock it up. Pull the pump off and see if it will spin over.
How do you get the pump out? That's what connects to the back of the motor right? The other shaft? And it wasn't sunk but this one was ridden in salt its life I think. If the pumps not turning is there a way to clean it and free it up? Thanks

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Honda pump is not hard to pull off. Go to PWCTODAY.COM and you will find several different threads on removing the reverse bucket so you can remove the [4] 12mm bolts that hold the pump on. When I bought all 3 of my Hondas all [3] had swelled pump liners and needed new pump stators due to neglect. They can not be repaired, just replaced. The cheapest Honda OEM parts I have found is from Honda of East Toledo. You can sometimes get a buy on Honda parts from Ebay, just make sure it isn't salt failed too.
You might call Ramon at H20xtreme.com and see if he can either get you a new wastegate actuator or a new turbo.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
jrinjax thanks for all the help....:appl:
i ended up lucking out it was the pump and blade that was locked up from sitting. we got that off and free and the motor is fine. cleaned out the t body and basically went through the whole motor so it is ready. have to finish tomorrow with the pump housing sanding it up and put it all back together and when i do i will do the reverse bushings. all i need now is to find a turbo wg actuator and it should be ready to go back together and run like new.
crazy thing about it all is like i said with the oil everywhere....i finally got around to sucking it out and about at least 2qts leaked in the hull i need to clean from taking the turbo off but on top of that i sucked out 11 more qts!!! i cant believe what i saw and how someone can not take care of them or read.....i sucked it dry and filled it the right way and now its good. im guessing they just checked it up top and sucked it there and never touched the lower plug or used the dip stick down there to check.

anyways as long as i can get a hold of some wg i will be all set then can give them a nice bath and polish!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
one other question i need to know...are all the turbos the same as in the actual turbo...like ex. 02-09 have the same turbocharger on the motors? can i put an 08-09 turbo on my 02?

·
Registered
236 Posts
The OEM turbos are VERY expensive due to their Formula One type ceramic ball bearings. Call Ramon or Aurice at H2Oxtreme.com and see if they have a retrofit WG actuator, if not they have a larger turbo reftrofit for $1200, less than half price of a new OEM Honda turbo.
You will have to replace your pump stator since the corrosion between the aluminum stator housing and the stainless steel liner creates bumps in the liner that hit the impeller. The new Stators are abour $275 at Honda of East Toledo.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just bought 2 2002 turbo 3 seaters. One runs good like it should with low hours and the other has about 140 on it and wont start. It was winterized and put away running but then when tried this year it would start off the trailer the guy told me so he never had time to look at it. It powers up and dash goes on and he said you can hear the fuel pump click on and then a click when starting. I read it can be a main relay or sounds like a starts? Anyone have this issue or knows? Also the other half of the problem is he told me when this one did run that it always ran like in the 40s and not as good as the low hour one in the 60s. I have not looked at it yet but I’m guessing it is a turbo problem? Anyone experience this before? Would it be just the waste gate stuck and not boosting or turbo just shot? But if it was shot would the ski still run ok like he said but not as fast? or my other guess was maybe the child/learn lock is on and doesn't know it....I had an 04 2 seater and lover it and know everything has to stay lubed and checked, I never had any issues. If someone can help me with these problems would be great. I have not got a chance to look at it yet but just want an idea for now.....
Also if they stay maintained good how long do these last (hours) with out rebuilds or anything?
on my 2003 the hose going into the intercooler was partially off

·
Registered
236 Posts
I have blown the intercooler inlet hoses off my aftermarket intercoolers about a dozen times. Riding for an hour at 35 MPH is a pain.

·
Registered
2 Posts
i did take the valve cover off and it was all clean and looked good and plugs looked ok no oil on them so im guessing...a new starter, oil change, plugs, WG, and clean throttle blades and it should be up and going.

·
Registered
5 Posts
you cant replace wsg. cant buy just a wsg you have to buy the whole turbo. a new turbo isnt cheap! hope you got the non running ski for dirt cheap because its about to cost you some cash! if that wsg is F*cked! as for the starting problem change the main relay and plugs.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts