Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 02 fx-140. The following has recently occured:
battery lost charge while in use: I put in a new battery
battery lost charge again: replaced rectifier
almost immediately got error code 24 for Cam position sensor: replaced sensor
got alarm with error code 01: ???puzzled why, 01=no problem
I disconnected battery hoping to remove error codes from memory.
started and got error code 24 again
checked my connections and then tried to start: just a click
placed on battery charger and the battery is fully charged.
I may be redy for a mechanic. Any in the Northern Va area?

Thanks for any help, Patrick

·
Registered
588 Posts
Are you the original owner? Has the ski been rode in salt water? Any reason the battery would not turn the engine if it were straight wired to the starter?

If you can prove to yourself that the battery and engine are not the cause of the problem, then in my amateur estimation, the cause has to the starter or the wiring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought it in 2004 with very low hours. I have run it is salt water, but always flush it well after each use and am very good about the maintenance. I will try the battery to starter jump.

It seems all these error codes with the new parts might indicate a problem in the computer which generates the error codes. Is that possible?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Possible problem with the ECU or wiring harness. I'd say you will probably have to take it to a dealer and let them hook it up the the diagnostic computer and see what it says and go from there. Otherwise, its pretty much swapping out parts.............very expensive parts to try to find the problem.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Well I agree with ET. If ya have the money, let the pro's fix it.

I have an FX140 and when I hear the click when trying to start it, it means my battery cables are not making a good connection.

I am computer savvy but I grew up prior to the computer age. The error codes certainly help technicians zero in on the cause of the problem. BUT technicians know some codes lead you down the wrong path.

Here is the problem with salt water. We flush the machine and wash the outside and think we are good to go. Unfortunately, we need to wash, dry, and lubricate every thing under the seat also. Salt is evil, my friend

·
Registered
8 Posts
Reviving this old thread. I have the exact same problem as Patrick16 had.
- No charge -> measured stator = OK -> Replaced rectifier -> Everything fine for 5 minutes then error 24: cam position sensor.

Hope someone could assist. Doesn't seem to be any point in replacing the cam position sensor, if it will just throw the code again.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I would trace the cam position sensor wires to see if they are contained in one of the three pigtails that plug into the ECU. I believe that they are. Inspect the ECU for any corrosion on the numerous pins and to determine if any pins on the ECU are missing. When you find the pigtail that contains the cam position sensor wires, use a multimeter to check for "continuity" between the relevant wires on the ECU side pigtail and the pigtail that the cam position sensor plugs into. If you have continuity, then this should rule out a problem with the wiring harness itself. While you are at it, I would carefully clean all three sets ECU pins and each pigtail and connector with electrical contact cleaner. Use a small soft brush to remove any debris or corrosion on these components. Blow the components dry with a hair dryer. Then apply dielectric grease to all components and reassemble them. Be sure to install the three pigtails straight into the ECU to avoid damaging any of the pins. Hopefully, this will solve the problem. If not, you likely have an internal problem with the ECU. If you know someone in your area that has the same machine, perhaps he/she will let you swap the ECU to confirm that it is the cause of your issue before buying a replacement. Let us know if this resolves your issue. Bill.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Bill.. sadly, ECU wiring looked like new. I cleaned them anyway and measured continuity from the ECU pins to the cam position sensor and they were ok.

Tested a bit more. Everything seems fine. engine revs like it should, starts like a charm.. idles without issue. Error code 24 only appears when I rev the engine past 4000 rpm, but it does not put it in limp home mode (if it at all has such a feature....)

Seems to be a time element to it also. It's fine for a about 30 seconds, can rev fine above 4000.. then suddenly when revving higher than 4000 it thows the code

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions Bill.. sadly, ECU wiring looked like new. I cleaned them anyway and measured continuity from the ECU pins to the cam position sensor and they were ok.

Tested a bit more. Everything seems fine. engine revs like it should, starts like a charm.. idles without issue. Error code 24 only appears when I rev the engine past 4000 rpm, but it does not put it in limp home mode (if it at all has such a feature....)

Seems to be a time element to it also. It's fine for a about 30 seconds, can rev fine above 4000.. then suddenly when revving higher than 4000 it thows the code
Did you find any resolution to this? I am having the same exact issues on a 2002 Fx140… wasn’t charging, replace battery, replace rectifier, now throwing code 24. I’m wondering if the new rectifier has anything to do with it? It ran great before the new rectifier as long as the battery was charged… think I am going to disconnect the new rectifier and test just to see if it still throws codes for diagnostics.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Still working on it. Waiting for new sensor. There’s also a filter between the sensor on the main harness, on the -03 and forward models. Which is not present on my -02. I’ve ordered the filter also… waiting on both parts.
Mine did the same also. Ran great with the failed rectifier. Is your new oem? Mine is not. But either way. There’s no data to the rectifier. So as long as it’s providing 13+ V it shouldn’t matter if it’s not oem… but maybe the ecu knows somehow…

·
Registered
7 Posts
It is not OEM. Amazon special… I agree with you that there shouldn’t be an issue since it’s a “dumb” part, but it makes me curious now hearing your troubles as well as mine with installing new non-oem rectifiers… or maybe both sensors just went out on our 19 yr old boats. I’ll let you know if I find anything more out on my end worth sharing.

·
Registered
7 Posts
So just ran a few more diagnostics and unfortunately they were a bit inconclusive.

1.Disconnected rectifier, started and ran for about a minute.Started rightup, idled fine, revved great, brought back to idle, repeat. No codes.

2.Reconnected rectifier, started, ran for a min, beep and code 24

3.Disconnected rectifier, started, beep and code 24 after .

I’m thinking either faulty sensor with sporadic function, or ECU troubles which totals this old thing for me ( not really, just will probably sit and continue to rot)

Im gonna replace the sensor and hope for the best.

let me know how yours goes as I’m sure you will get sensor before me.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the new sensor today. Installed it a few minutes ago, and it looks promising. No error. Will test a bit more once I’ve got it into the water..

·
Registered
8 Posts
Well that was short moment of joy. Worked for about 15 minutes of driving. Now error 24 again. :( still have the resistor on order. Should arrive next week. Sorry for getting your hopes up

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well that was short moment of joy. Worked for about 15 minutes of driving. Now error 24 again. :( still have the resistor on order. Should arrive next week. Sorry for getting your hopes up
Damn…. Really starting to think about returning the Amazon rectifier and buying oem… the engineer in me doesn’t like that compromise, seeing how the rectifier should be fine… but maybe there is an ECU ghost and it knows somehow

·
Registered
8 Posts
Likewise here.. not an engineer, but I do like it when stuff is oem :)
But an my local Yamaha dealer wants 280€ for a new OEM rectifier, and I still have have to fix the wiring harness, so I think I'll leave the non-oem rectifier for now.

I'm really puzzled by this.. Why did it work for a while. I've only tested with the pwc on its trailer. Could it be that the issue is more random when there's more cooling water in the engine. Or some other strange combo of things...

For documentation purposes, here's what I did yesterday.
1. Replaces sensor
2. Tested on land, with garden hose, for about a minute. No code
3. Put the pwc in the water. Drove around for about 5-10 minutes. No issues
4. Took a short break - Had a beer and was happy that it was fixed :D
5. Short drive to another dock, 5 minutes maybe.
6. Got error code 24 almost immediately when I started the PWC on my way home

I read somewhere that the sensor can pick up noise from the engine.. maybe something is vibrating more than before. Also strange that it should coinside with the rectifier being broken.
A friend of mine said (who's worked at a bike repair shop) that charging issues on bikes usually was caused by both stator and rectifier. So they usually changed both to get the bikes charging. Don't know if it applies here. But maybe the stator is bad also (or creating noise), but it could also be the wiring harness. One of my wires from the stator to the rectifiers look really bad. The strands (or what they are called) almost look burnt.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Likewise here.. not an engineer, but I do like it when stuff is oem :)
But an my local Yamaha dealer wants 280€ for a new OEM rectifier, and I still have have to fix the wiring harness, so I think I'll leave the non-oem rectifier for now.

I'm really puzzled by this.. Why did it work for a while. I've only tested with the pwc on its trailer. Could it be that the issue is more random when there's more cooling water in the engine. Or some other strange combo of things...

For documentation purposes, here's what I did yesterday.
1. Replaces sensor
2. Tested on land, with garden hose, for about a minute. No code
3. Put the pwc in the water. Drove around for about 5-10 minutes. No issues
4. Took a short break - Had a beer and was happy that it was fixed :D
5. Short drive to another dock, 5 minutes maybe.
6. Got error code 24 almost immediately when I started the PWC on my way home

I read somewhere that the sensor can pick up noise from the engine.. maybe something is vibrating more than before. Also strange that it should coinside with the rectifier being broken.
A friend of mine said (who's worked at a bike repair shop) that charging issues on bikes usually was caused by both stator and rectifier. So they usually changed both to get the bikes charging. Don't know if it applies here. But maybe the stator is bad also (or creating noise), but it could also be the wiring harness. One of my wires from the stator to the rectifiers look really bad. The strands (or what they are called) almost look burnt.
Yea this is really a mystery. I just am going to return the non-oem rectifier and ordered the OEM one. If that works, gonna return the new cam sensor I bought.

I don’t know a lot about electrical… I’m a chemical eng, but the only thing I can think is that the new rectifier is operating at a slightly different voltage than the OEM. This is a huge long shot, but if the voltage potentials are different, that also means the the electric fields are different which are generated from the voltage potentials. Kinda thinking maybe this is “jamming” signal from the sensor or the signal running in the wiring…. Or just pisses the ECU off.

I pulled out the rectifier again today and she runs like a dream… haven’t put in water yet, but runs just like it did about a month ago…best of luck! I’ll be sure and report back if I can get it squared away

·
Registered
8 Posts
Must be a connector somewhere that’s causing the issue. I was out for a quick run today. About 15 min driving. No error code

·
Registered
8 Posts
Took the pwc out for a longer journey. Ran great. Error code 24 every 3-4 starts. Ran with out issue even with code present.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts