Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me out on this one. I read thru many forums on this topic and I'm more confused now than when I started. So here's my problem:

My 2002 GP1200R runs great on the trailer (revs up to 7,000rpm), but not in the water. It only revs up to 5,000rpms and maxs out around 30mph. It is very slow to start and will even stall out if I try accelerate too hard. It takes patience and plenty of feathering to get this thing going. It almost feels as if the intake is clogged, but it is definitely clear and the choke is not engaged or sticking. During the run, it did take off for a split second and nearly ripped my arms off, but only that one time.

The previous owner removed the catayltic converter and installed a D-Plate. He also had the carbs rebuilt this past fall. I did a compression test and all 3 cylinders a pushing 120psi consistently. I checked the fuel filter and lines and everything appears to be in check. All 3 cyclinders are getting spark, but it runs the same when I pull the plug on the 1st (closest to the bow/front of the craft) and not with either of the other two. I have already started by pulling the stinger, exhaust camber, and stock flame arrester. I haven't pulled the carbs yet, but I can see oil present in all 3 with the most pooled in the 1st cylinder. Does anyone have any advice on where to go from here?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If you are getting spark and the compression is good, that only leaves only fuel flow as a potential problem. I'd take a close look at the carb on that 1st cylinder. You appear to be getting oil in the 1st cylinder, but no gas to burn it off.

·
Registered
114 Posts
If your compression is good, check spark plug burn color and look for proper color on plugs as for fule and oil on them, are they the same color rich, moist and gassy looking. if all the power is good on the trailer and you have checke dall you can under the seat....It may be time to start lookin at the jet pump, prop wear, pump bearings, obstruction etc. look in with a shop light and go from there. pull the jet pump off and check for prop free movement..It dont take long. Just a thought.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I finally got the carbs off, but i'm having problems getting those 4 screws off of the plate with an "R" on it. I have fuel getting through the pump on the other side. Anybody know any tricks of the trade to loosen these screws up? I tried an impact drill, but already messed one of them up with it. I'm debating using those drill bits designed to remove stripped screws, but I worried about damaging the threads.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts