Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2002 GTI ran OK until this weekend.

First start of the day was difficult. Engine turned normally but did not run. It finally started after giving it a little gas with the throttle while pressing the Start button. Then it ran OK and I used it for about 15 minutes.

About 45 minutes later, the second start was like the first.

After running for another 15 minutes, I turn it off and immediately tried to start again but was unsuccessful.

I pulled the plugs and they were dry. I had a new set so I put them it but it did not make any difference.

Tried a number of times to start the engine but all it does is turn over without starting.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Have you checked for spark? If you have spark and it still won't start then remove the plugs and pour a shot of gas in each jug, replace the plugs and crank it. It should at least start. If it doesn't stay running then you have a fuel delivery problem. Is your ski fuel injected or carburated?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My ski is carburated.

What is a good, safe way to check for spark?
I'll try the shot of gas this weekend.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My ski is carburated.

What is a good, safe way to check for spark?
I'll try the shot of gas this weekend.
The way I have always checked for spark is to remove the plugs and insert them in the plug wire, make sure they are clear of the motor and crank just enough to get a visual on the spark. Never crank near the plug socket on the engine for it might catch fire from gas vapors.

When is the last time the carbs where cleaned? If it dies after pouring a shot of gas in the cylinder, look at the carbs first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. I'll see what I can do this weekend. And the carbs have never been cleaned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Had success starting my ski this weekend. Went back to basics.

First thing I did was to check the sparkplug gap. It was way too wide compared to the spec (18 mils). Reset the gap, reinstalled the plugs, and with a little effort got the engine started. It ran well and restarted successfully throughout the day.

On a few of the starts the engine to not crank as well as it should. So the second thing I did was to disconnect the battery cables and clean all the connections. It started better the next day except for one time. Once started, the ski always ran well.

So for now I will continue running it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts