Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I have a 2002 Sea-Doo GTX 4-Tec and it just got a new engine put in (long story) by factory authorized seadoo shop. They put a new sbt motor in it with a full 2 year warranty. However, when i got it back it started fine for a few times. What seems to be happening is that the battery drains after starting it about 10 or so times. I took it back to them and they put a new battery in it and checked the charging system and said all was fine, and they were 98% sure it was the battery even though the battery checked out ok. I took it back out to the lake.. started it 5 times in a row.. then drove it for about 45 minutes, then took it back to shore. Started it once, then tried again and it won't start. Turns over twice.. then long beep code and display resets. Battery is drained too much to start it. The seadoo shops next plan is to replace the starter as they fear the starter is pulling too much juice causing the battery to die. Does this sound right? Are there other options? Or things they haven't thought of?

Also on a side note, can you jump start this machine off of another wave runner or off of one of those portable jumping devices, or do you risk damaging the electrical system?

Many thanks for the assistance!
Rob

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hey man, i posted a post awhile back alot like yours. My 96 GSX 800 wont charge the battery while its in operation either (i never got any replies). It will run for about 45 min tops, and i can start it a few times during that time but then the battery is dead! I think these small engines will have a stator on them, the charging system. Its also quite possible that they shorted something out while replaceing your engine that might cause a loss in your battery. I have never heard of a starter causing your battery to die, i mean if it cranks over the motor and you then drive it the battery should charge while driving it. Unless again somthing is shorted out somewhere. Truthfully i try to avoid dealerships whenever possible because of the high labor rates and possibility of them dicking you over, but im in a bind like you and my GSX may see one real soon if i dont get this problem figured out. Im in PA and the days are gettin warmer and its soon PWC time! Hope you figure your problem out, and if you do please post back on this and let me know what was up. Thanks

1 - 2 of 2 Posts