Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was preparing my FX 140 for the season which required me to rebuild the jet pump and bearings after 18 years in salt water. I was running the machine on the hose in my driveway when I noticed the fuel line was leaking to the fuel injector rail.I pulled the hose and replaced it with one from AutoZone that are clamped to the fittings. Since this work, the machine will run but only with a hand on the throttle keeping the RPMs above 3000. I ran the machine in the water and it runs fine above 5000 RPM but stutters at the the lower end. I don’t see any fuel leaks or reasons to suspect my repair, but this behavior is new to a machine that has run reliably for my 12 years of ownership.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Borrow an compression gauge from autozone and test it with throttle wide open. Dont use other gauge that maybe way off.
I used to bought a gauge from harbor freight, and they tested my 115psi engine down to 95psi which scare me..

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It turned out that after pulling the machine out of winter hibernation I thought I had a seized piston. I had no idea the seizure was actually the impeller in the swollen impeller housing. A friend recommended Marvel mystery oil in the cylinders to help free the ”seized piston”. I ended up diagnosing the seized impeller and the engine cranked and ran fine after my repairs. Apparently the plugs were fouled but would fire consistently at high rpms. I swapped them for new plugs last night as a test since I’ve had plug changes fix mysterious rough running in the past. Once again new plugs had it idling where it should be. Thanks for your reply.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts