Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took my 03' 800 XLT out this weekend (50 hours on it). Started up right way in my driveway after being winterized.

Sounded great, put it in the water. Hesitated a little while heading out into the bay, like seaweed entered the intake. Hit throttle and it sped up fine. In the middle of the bay, it started going 10 mph tops full throttle. Checked intake and nothing. Started it up again and now max speed is 5 mph full throttle. Came back to the dock and took her home. Took off intake grate and nothing looked amiss.

When I was running water through it in my driveway, started right up and sounded great.

Why would it sound and run great on land but not in the water? Help please!

Thanks,

Scott

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Its not uncommon to foul the plugs at the first of the season (fogging oil, etc). Fouled plugs could result in the poor performance, and are one of the most common ski snafus. I'd check them first.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help Ernest. Much appreciated. I will check the plugs first. I am also wondering if the ski has a low rpm mode that I may have turned on. I am at work, manual at home so I will need to look into that. That would probably limit speed right?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I not sure that that ski had a "learners" mode or not. On most Yamahas with the "L" mode you can still do around 30 mph.

·
Registered
811 Posts
A lot would depend on the RPM'S that you were turning both before and after it started running bad. if your motor is turning up the RPM"S and not moving fast look at the drive system for problems. If it is bogging out then I would look at any fuel filters, new plugs, fuel pump, and other fuel related systems. Does it run up on the trailer full RPM'S as in no load on it?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts