Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 fx 140 in my garage, i will remove the battery and put it on a trickle charger. Since it's a 4 stroke, do i need to do anything else to winterize the machine. I thought about oputting sta-bil in the gas tank. Any ideas appreciated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Fill the fuel tank with fuel and the appropriate amount of Sta-bil (I recommend Sta-bil Marine). A full tank leaves less room for condensation. You need to run some of the Stabilized gas through the engine, which means putting it on the hose for a while.

After running it on the hose run it dry for 15-20 second intervals blipping the throttle to blast out as much water as possible from the cooling system. I do this every 2-3 hours or once each day until no water comes out. You want to let the engine cool completely between these 15-20 second dry runs. It helps if the back is tipped down slightly. This will prevent water just sitting and corroding stuff in the engine, and also prevents freezing of water left in the engine.

Its a good idea to change the oil before storage. Water and acid build up in old oil over the storage period. Most mechanics recommend an oil change as part of the wiinterization process.

Yamaha recommends fogging the engine if it is to be stored more than a month or so. Many guys claim this is the most important thing you can do. Its easy with the Yamaha. Pull off the air filter cover and spray fogging oil into the air intakes (3 seconds of spray per intake). Then start the engine dry and run for 15 seconds to distribute the oil. There is a section in the owner's manual that shows how to do this.

Pull the battery, fill with distilled water if low (and not a maintenance free type), and put on a float charger. Now you are good for the winter.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks so much Ernest. I wonder why people tell me since it's a four stroke that I don't need to do anything to it.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Thanks so much Ernest. I wonder why people tell me since it's a four stroke that I don't need to do anything to it.
I have no idea. Some of the worst damage that I have seen done to jet skis is not from running them too hard, but from putting them away without proper storage procedures. This applies to 2 and 4 strokes.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts