Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2003 Kawasaki STX-12F surges or lopes only when idling; otherwise, it is very fast and runs perfectly. I replaced the idle control sensor and it seemed to help a little bit but it still does not run smoothly at idle. This all started after I found a slit in a water hose that was spraying water on the electrical wiring. Drying everything out did not help. Maybe I need a new wiring harness? Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can resolve this problem?

·
Registered
3 Posts
STX 12F, idling problem

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aloha to whom ever might be out there....

I own a Kawasaki STX 12F and it does'nt idle. It starts up but soon stalls. I have taken out the idle speed controller on the trottle body and started it up to see if it would run using my finger to plug the hole then partially make an opening so air will flow once it started. I was told to do this by a certified Kawasaki Mech. for trouble shooting purposes only. Because there is no humming or buzzing sound when the motor stops. I can run the motor at 4000 RPM but soon as I drop it down to 3000 RPM it stalls. The fuel filter is clean, the gas is good, (I only use non-ethanol gas), the fuel pump is working, I changed the spark plugs. I'm wondering if it's an ignition problem or fuel problem If anyone has any suggestions or question please write back.

Brent

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi brent i own a 2004 15f with similar problems idels starts and runs good when cold engine, cuts out when revs are less than 4000 rpm when the ski has been used for over half an hour and enguine is hot runs fine at higher rpm . no fault code showing on dash and will start up again. i have replaced the low speed controler with no improvement .this is my first jet ski and only just bought it on ebay so do not know the ski,s history 217 hrs any help is much appricated as these is no service agent in my town ,closest is 120km away

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rodney S.,

I found the problem. It's the propeller rubbing against the shroud way too much! How you can tell is if you try and turn the prop from under the seat (with a wrench) or from the rear with a hex. It should turn freely, mine wasn't. That's why it could only run during high rev. I'm changing the drive shaft and bearings and prop. (well someone is doing it for me). A pretty big job!! Hope this helps you.

Aloha, Brent

1 - 4 of 4 Posts