Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone!

I have a 2003 xlt1200 with roughly 180 hours on it and I’m running into some issues. My jetski fires right up outside of the water, and with a hose hooked up to it. I’ll take it off the trailer while in the water and it fires right up also.

After running the ski for about a half hour or so, I’ll shut it off to hangout on the water and it won’t start up again. I’ve heard different things such as; carb is getting fuel after shutting down and flooding it or a bad coil in the carb as well. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks again!

-David

·
Registered
145 Posts
Original owner? Any mods that you know of on the ski? Are you premix or running oil pump? It sounds like a carb/fuel issue, if you can turn a wrench, you can pull the carbs and rebuild them, use only Mikuni kits for rebuild.

There is also a ton of mods you can do to these 1200's, check out GreenHulk forums and look for OSide Bill's mods.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the response Tommy,

I’m the second owner of the ski. No mods done to it, and I don’t premix, I have an oil pump. But thanks for the info. Probably going to end up just rebuilding so I can be on the water ASAP.

And I’ll definitely look into OSide Bills for future mods. Thanks again brotha!

·
Registered
145 Posts
Awesome! Rebuilding an '03 XLT 800 right now and I reverted the ski back to oil pump. Check your oil lines ASAP, if you see zip ties, do not put her back on the water until you upgrade the lines and clamps. Replace the oil lines with tygon line and use oetiker clamps. You'll want to check for wave eater clips or upgraded power valves as well. These are MUST HAVES, any other repairs will be all for nothing if you drop an oil line or a pin into the cylinder. Dave in DE on this forum is a huge help and I'm sure will show his face here at some point.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
"Bones" has pretty much hit it on the head.
First thing up is get a good compression test done to determine motor condition.
How many hrs on it?
Check power valve for wave eater clips or updated links so you don't eat a link pin.
Check oil lines from pump to carbs. The lines get hard and shrink pulling off or breaking. The oil lines you can either use oetiker clamps or wire ties. You just need to use a tie gun to install wire ties otherwise they won't be tight enough to hold.

Your hard start when it's warm may be motor is getting weak (low compression)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts