Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone - I purchased a new to me 2003 FX140 a few weeks back. When I first got it, it was running on 3 cylinders but I replaced the spark plugs, new air filter and fresh gas, and it is running great. Battery was apparently new a year ago.

This past weekend, I got the audible alarm and check engine light about 20 minutes after going out. I limped back to the trailer and it wouldn't start or light up. Brought it home and realized that the Battery was dead.

Anyway, the ski is kept at my family summer place which is about an hour away and I am going to be going back this weekend.

Old battery tests fine, was totally drained though. I trickle charged it this week, ran a load test and all checked out. So I am assuming regulator/recitifier is going to test bad. I am bringing a new battery, my multimeter, some tools and a new OEM yamaha regular. Trying to be prepared as my garage is stocked at my home but not at the beach.

I am assuming when I put the battery in and start it up, volts will not be above the magic 14/14.2 number while running. Regulator seems like a common failure point with these Yamahas FX skis.

My questions are - where is the regulator located on these ski's? And what other common failure points occur to the charging system on these?

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yes, when running you should see 13.5/14V. The regulator should be in the electrical box. Could also be corrosion in a connection somewhere. Or loose wire.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK so under the main seat, there is the airbox cover which when you open it up gives you access to the spark plugs, fuel rail etc. I wasn't searching for the electrical box but can you point me in the right direction? It may be obvious when I open it up this weekend but I can't picture it. Worst case I'll trace the wires back to it!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Dave - I have the regulator in hand already I just wasn't sure where to find it - being "under the hood" once or twice, it didn't stick out to me. But as I said, I'll trace the wires off the battery and I should track it down quick.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just wanted to circle back and close the loop on this one since I see so many threads with no solution. I installed the new battery, started it up, no increase in volts. So I figured it had to be the regulator.

Check out these pictures. When I traced the wires back to the regulator / rectifier, I went to unplug it and this corroded mess came apart. Replaced the regulator and now getting a solid 14.5 volts while running.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Yup. Dielectric grease is your best friend when it comes to connections. I always coat the seals and the connections helps keep them water tight and corrosion free.

Thanks for the update. Always nice to see the resolution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts