Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer we experienced major problems with our ski. It ran rough, would stall out and had little power. Upon investigation we found a small amount of oil in the air filter and a disconnected hose in the same area. We reconnected the hose and tried again with the same issues. As a test we ran it without the air filter and still the same. I'm moderately handy so I'm thinking it may have to go to the dealer if I cannot fix it myself. I'd like to avoid that expense if I can but don't really know where to start on my own. I'm thinking I may have a fuel filter issue as well, as the symptoms I have described are very similar to a post I read earlier. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Oil on the air filter = overfilled oil reservoir almost 100% of the time. The hose you probably disconnected is the hose from the oil separator and oil tank.

See this thread: http://www.pwcforum.com/yamaha-jetski/7288-2-more-questions-oil-change-hooking.html

1st step is to be sure you get an accurate oil level reading. The engine has to be HOT (run it for 10-12 minutes), level, and you have to check it soon after its been run or you will not get an accurate reading. Remove excess oil until you get to about the 1/2 way mark on the dip stick with the engine hot.

If your oil level is correct then you could have a much more serious = harder to fix problem.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply Ernest. I dont beleive I have an oil overage problem. The last time we had the oil changed was at the dealer three seasons ago(we dont run it often). We've run it with no problems until this past fall when we had the problems. It's not a very large amount of oil, really not enough to warrant replacing the air filter, but there is oil none the less. Could this small amount be coming from the disonnected hose you metnioned in your reply?

It's been sitting all winter with stabil in the tank. I'm going to change the plugs this weekend to see if I can get her to start up and check the power and idleing. Anything else I should do?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
As far as I know there is only 1 oil line that empties into the air box, and about the only reason for that line to have oil is when it backs up from an overfilled oil tank. I have a FXHO so my oil separator looks different, but that is what I think you are showing in the photo that connects to the oil line.

Overfilling the oil is very common...........even at the dealerships. The older FX and VX models are the only skis with a dry sump oil system, so the mechanics are used to the systems on the newer FX models and often forget.

Check your oil level as a first step with the engine HOT after running it on the hose, then report back.

That air filter is toast. Even a 10% oil saturation will cause poor engine performance. I'd get a new one, or leave it off, but get the oil problem figured out first.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
4 plugs.jpg

Bad Plug 2.jpg

Thanks Ernest....

I did take the plugs out today and they look pretty bad. I don't know what degree of 'bad' they are as I dont have anything to compare them to but I suspect they are part of my performance problem.

My plan this weekend is to replace the plugs and she if the ski will start up so I can check the oil as described in your link above. When I replace the plugs should I clean the 'holes' the plugs came out of? Also, I have about 1/3rd of a tank of gas and I haven't run the ski since August, so there is a probability that I have bad gas. If that's the case, should I siphon the bad gas out and replace with new gas? The last question I have relates to the small amount of oil residue in the compartment where the four air intake things are. At least that's what I think they are. How should I clean the four of them out, if at all?
I do plan on ditching the air filter altogether. Hopfully that will be the magic cocktail to getting the ski running nicely again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Theory:

When the dealer changed the oil they overfilled it. Not a lot, but enough to slowly cause oil to leak out in unintended places. Over the course of two seasons the oil built up on the spark plugs to a point where the ski is stalling out and performing poorly. Thoughts?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Theory:

When the dealer changed the oil they overfilled it. Not a lot, but enough to slowly cause oil to leak out in unintended places. Over the course of two seasons the oil built up on the spark plugs to a point where the ski is stalling out and performing poorly. Thoughts?
BINGO! Happens all the time on the VX and FX model skis, in fact overfilled oil is without a doubt the most common cause of problems on these model skis. Fouled spark plugs runs a close second, and is often due to the overfilled oil. Checking the oil level on this dry sump system is unlike any other ski out there, so it is easy to get it wrong.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
View attachment 832

View attachment 833

Thanks Ernest....

I did take the plugs out today and they look pretty bad. I don't know what degree of 'bad' they are as I dont have anything to compare them to but I suspect they are part of my performance problem.

My plan this weekend is to replace the plugs and she if the ski will start up so I can check the oil as described in your link above. When I replace the plugs should I clean the 'holes' the plugs came out of? Also, I have about 1/3rd of a tank of gas and I haven't run the ski since August, so there is a probability that I have bad gas. If that's the case, should I siphon the bad gas out and replace with new gas? The last question I have relates to the small amount of oil residue in the compartment where the four air intake things are. At least that's what I think they are. How should I clean the four of them out, if at all?
I do plan on ditching the air filter altogether. Hopfully that will be the magic cocktail to getting the ski running nicely again.
-Yea those plugs are exactly what they look like when they see too much oil. You may want to suck out a 1/2 quart of oil or so before you fire up the ski, or you run the risk of fouling your new plugs. Then check it, and adjust the oil level with engine HOT.
-Yea get rid of the old gas. It builds up condensation = water, which is not good for the engine. For future reference when storing the ski for an extended period of time: Fill the tank with gas and add Sta-bil Marine fuel stabilizer. A full tank leaves less room for condensation, and the Sta-bil Marine will keep the fuel good for up to 12 months.
-I doubt that there would be much oil in the flame arrestors that cover the intakes, which is what I think you mean. It should have been stopped by the air filter. I don't think you need to worry about that.
-I know guys that run without the air filter with no problems. Just make sure the oil problem is fixed first. Another option is an aftermarket filter like this: YAMAHA FX HO / FX140 (scroll down to R&D filter).

-The plugs on the FX are very delicate and will snap off easily. 9 ft/lbs. of torque max.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Help......how in the heck do I get the gas out. I bought on of these from harbor freight Fluid Siphon Pump

I'm assuming the hose goes down the gas inlet however the hose doesn't seem to make it to the bottom....it seems as if it's hitting something. I'm thinking the hose isn't long enough to reach my gas container on the floor either. Is there a better or easier solution?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Help......how in the heck do I get the gas out. I bought on of these from harbor freight Fluid Siphon Pump

I'm assuming the hose goes down the gas inlet however the hose doesn't seem to make it to the bottom....it seems as if it's hitting something. I'm thinking the hose isn't long enough to reach my gas container on the floor either. Is there a better or easier solution?
The hose has several turns, and empties into the top of the tank. Sometimes it is hard to get anything to go through it. It may be easier to drain the fuel from the cap on the rear of the tank. You can access it under the front seat. I think it has a simple hose clamp holding it on.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ernest....first let me say thanks for all your help. While I'm not an expert mechanic I really can't afford to take the ski to a dealer and my family is counting on a fun summer on the ski.....can't let 'em down. -:). I just tried siphoning the fuel from the entry you described above. I can see gas getting pumped up through the tube but the little hand pump is still on the upside of the siphon and I can't seem to get the flow going. I could extend the hose that goes to the tank but I don't think that hand pump is powerful enough to get 'er going. Do I need some sort of electrical siphon or am I doing something wrong? Thanks again!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
UPDATE: So I bought this pump from Harbor Freight Multi-Use Transfer Pump and was able to siphon the fuel out pretty easily. I also pumped out about half a quart of oil, replaced the plugs, put in new gas with some injector cleaner additive and fired her up. Started on the firs push and is purring like a kitten!!! I measured the oil after letting it run on the house for 12 minutes and the oil was just above the H mark on the stick. I will pump more oil out tomorrow morning and I think I'm set for the season! Thanks Ernest for your advice.

Happy skiiing to all!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts