Personal Water Craft Forum banner

261 - 271 of 271 Posts

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Ya, I haven't been on much either. This covid mess has me busy between work and dealing with daughter and remote leaning bs.
Starting some work on cousins 97 wave venture 1100. Needs new pump brgs and impeller. Problem is shaft is rusted solid at splines and won't come loose.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
I had to read my thread to figure out where I left off and a good starting point for this project again.

Bust out the torch!

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #265 ·
The more I think, the more I want to tackle refinishing the hull while everything is out and apart. I'm thinking the only way is to set it on tire and try to roll it over and work from there. I have a engine hoist and thought about setting the front down on tires and lifting the rear, flipping the ski and setting her down on saw horses theoretically. Another, albeit dangerous, option is the engine hoist and sling and just lift it as high as possible and work "underneath" it. I would need some sort of safety chain/catch/stop for this method. Two saw horses on wheels would be ideal to roll the ski outside for work.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The more I think, the more I want to tackle refinishing the hull while everything is out and apart. I'm thinking the only way is to set it on tire and try to roll it over and work from there. I have a engine hoist and thought about setting the front down on tires and lifting the rear, flipping the ski and setting her down on saw horses theoretically. Another, albeit dangerous, option is the engine hoist and sling and just lift it as high as possible and work "underneath" it. I would need some sort of safety chain/catch/stop for this method. Two saw horses on wheels would be ideal to roll the ski outside for work.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Now would be the time. A lot easier to roll around while empty.
Pulled the motor and cut shaft on wave venture. What a PITA! Now trying to get shaft end out of center shaft without tearing up support brgs.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·
Will two 4 foot saw horses in the footwells hold this beast? I can't tell where the center line is, it "feels" around 10-12 inches behind the steering so about where the riders spine would be. I think 4 ft would be long enough to support the bow from tipping on its own while the ski is inverted.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
Ixnayed flipping the ski, I just don't have the means. Just going to use the cherry picker and the sling and work from my backside on my creeper or my knees. I'll use my 6 ton jacks with pinch weld mounts on the sides, same location my hoist hooks use and keep the picker and the hoist on as the failsafe. Next.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
Snapped head off the motor mount bolt, extractor ain't doing the trick. The mount spins, the bolt is caught in the mount but loose in the hull. Mount is too big to spin loose. Thinking about just cutting the mount and spinning the bolt out.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Updates finally, uploading some new pic once I do some editing. I have stripped the ski of everything, including rivets on the top side, she naked. After starring at her naked body and scrapping the PVC stand idea I had, I saw my set of 1000lb saw horses and the wheels started spinning. I built me a second set of ******* stands to hold the ski in the footwells as she is inverted for hull paint and repairs. It took a little wrangling but I was able to flip it by myself!

Here is the ski bare, just before I removed all of the rivets.

Here she is flipped with the helpers pictured.

261 - 271 of 271 Posts