Personal Water Craft Forum banner

161 - 167 of 167 Posts

·
Registered
1,153 Posts
Your helicoil kit should have come with proper drill and tap for the insert. That being said, A good machine shop may be able to use a sleeved type thicker insert to salvage this hole if they can't get a helicoil in it. But this may not be cost effective. Would have to get estimate and compare against top end kit with cylinders.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
Just a little update. Decided to tear into the hull, might paint it, definitely painting the cover and hood. Pads and glue removed. Pictured are my weapons of choice. PB Blaster worked the best with proof. Not pictured, small "crow" bar used to scrape pads off.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #165
Pulled the rub rails and gunwales today, prepping for some body work, going to use the West Marin Kit to clean up the ski in a couple of spots, going with the big one to have extra for the second ski whenever I get around to it. Took the nose off first, its is bolted on with 10mm nuts. Lucky enough the inner rails slid right out on both sides. Pulled all the lag screws, I believe these were T10 (star). Rear corners needed to be drilled out at they were pop riveted in. Once both rear corners were pulled, inner rear rail slid right out. Rear rail was pop riveted under the inner rail. Debating whether to replace rivets or use some stainless nuts and bolts. All of my rails were glued down as well, used the heat gun to loosen everything up.

I have been trying to find info on possibly painting the rails while I have them pulled and separated, maybe even a two tone with the inner rail being painted a different color. Appears most people have decent results with a paint geared to plastic/vinyl, like a Krypton. Does anyone manufacture colored aftermarket rails?

161 - 167 of 167 Posts