Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I put a friends ski in the water for the first time in a year. he said he winterized it, but I have my doubts. Anyway, we rode the ski all day and then beached it for the night (sand beach).

The next morning, the hull was full of about 6 inches of water! I checked the drain plugs and both were tight. After draining it, it would start, but wouldn't get above 2000 rpms.

We took it out and had a shop look at it. They said water got into the hull through the jet and exhaust.

Does anyone have any idea of how this happens? Is it because we beached it overnight, or is it a result of not winterizing it properly?

thanks in advance for the help!

·
Registered
285 Posts
water back flows threw the exhaust the seal on the back must be worn some. This can happen and is not the result from not winterizing the machine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay thank you. any idea of which seal? The mechanic didn't mention anything about it. he just said the engine got wet and is dry now, and is working fine, but I don't want to put the ski back in the water if this is going to happen again.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Part# 18353-HW1-670 looks like the part number, its the seal at back of the exhaust by the water chamber. Could be your possible cause. I wouldn't leave the ski sit in the water over night if I were you. Why take the chance again. Have fun.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If it isn't the seal, do you have any other thoughts as to why water would come up through the exhaust? I thought that would an airtight system and if there are no holes anywhere in that system, the back pressure should be great enough so that water can't rise up? correct? isn't that they same reason that it doesn't take on water while floating?

thanks.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just a thought

If it isn't the seal, do you have any other thoughts as to why water would come up through the exhaust? I thought that would an airtight system and if there are no holes anywhere in that system, the back pressure should be great enough so that water can't rise up? correct? isn't that they same reason that it doesn't take on water while floating?

thanks.
Maybe the fact that the ski was stationary (beached) with its stern hangin out in the water exerted more force into the jet nozzle vs. floating with some give was allowing the water to get in easier. The waves would splash up against it and travel into the ski. :dunno:

See Ya:062:

·
Registered
285 Posts
the theory is like putting a upside down glass into water, you will notice that it will stay full of air and won't fill with water, but if their is a leak someplace it will allow the water into the void. If this seal is bad it will do the same thing. And the leak might not be bad enough while ridding but leaving it sit all night it will slowly fill.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts