Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, first post, just recently purchased a 2004 FX140. The owner told us that the display worked fine in the morning but after the sun hit it would fade and go away. Of course, that was yesterday, and this morning we've got nothing. The display is getting power because it shows where the hours would be and gives what looks like 66 hours, but blurry. This morning the word "hours" is showing and wasn't yesterday afternoon, and the 66 hours has went to 888.8 and blurry but not as much. Still have no tach, speedo, or fuel level. The ski runs out great and is pretty clean, especially the motor. I've been reading on here about possibly frying some relays or otherwise damaging the electrical system if the battery has ever been charged while still in the ski. Could this have happened? I've also heard about a recall on the 04s about loose connections. Is there anywhere to search for a recall? Yamaha wants ALOT of money for a replacement, anybody got any idea where to get one other than OEM? Will any other display swap over? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
It sounds like a bad display. I don't think anything would work on it at all if it was a bad main relay. The fading sounds like a bad display, but I don't know for sure.

Any FX display should work, I doubt that there is a non-OEM substitute. You can occasionally find FXs being parted out on ebay, but my guess is that you will have to buy a new display (around $600-700). You could probably do the replacment yourself if you have a service manual.

The recall on this ski involved the main wiring harness rubbing against something inside the hull, which had a potential to cause a short and fire. You may want to check the wiring harnesses for signs of abrasion to see if that could cause a display malfunction. If it has been back to the dealer since April 04 this has probably already been fixed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply.....I'm leaning toward the entire cluster is bad. Another thing I noticed is that I get no lights or beeps on startup like some I just saw on Youtube. I'm sure it's getting power, but other than that, nothing. I'll go check all my connections.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts