Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just upgraded from a '97 SeaDoo GTX to an '04 FXHO. This sweet new machine has a fuel injected 4-stroke. I need to learn everything that I can about this new boat. This is my first Yamaha product of any kind. Things look a bit different to me.Here are my questions for you Yamaha veterans:
1) Upon my inspection I found an oil soaked air filter, oil in the intake area, etc. Checked the engine oil level and it is over filled. Can I just change the oil & filter, fill it to the proper level, replace the air filter and away I go or should I attempt to clean the oil from the EFI components and intakes? Also, on this topic, should I check for any potential damage done by the previous owner running it with too much oil?
2) What are the best spark plugs and gap to run? I need to buy a few sets to have on board.
3) Since I need a new air filter I was thinking of an aftermarket. Thoughts?
5) I will be running this boat at high altitudes. Will the EFI automatically sense conditions and adjust fuel as needed or is it not that advanced and is set for sea level?
6) What are the most important things that I need to know about this machine? What are they known for? What should I be prepared for?

Thanks in advance for your support.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
1. Important to check the oil level when the engine is hot on this ski. Best time is after you have been riding it on the water where it will be level. You can do it on the hose, but you need to run it for over 5 minutes to get it hot enough, and be sure to check it right after you run it not letting is sit too long to get an accurate reading. Over filling the oil on this model is the most common mistake made..........even by the dealers. Usually damage from overfilling the oil will be limited to ruining the air filter and fouling the plugs.
2. Spark plug = NGK CR9EB There is an iridium plug available = NGK CR9EIX (more expensive but may foul less). Be very careful not to over torque (these plugs are delicate and easy to snap (7-9 ft/lb.) Fouled spark plugs are THE most common cause for performance decrease on these models.........change the plugs as a first step. Download an owners manual here: My Yamaha Prompt - Owners Manual
3. Scroll down in this link to find the R&D air filter (cheaper, and supposedly better than the OEM): http://www.islandracing.net/fxho1000.html I'll also admit that many guys say that you don't even need the air filter on these skis
4. Never heard the high altitude question, but the ECU is supposed to adjust for all conditions.........call Yamaha for a definitive answer.
5. Most important thing to know = when it starts running rough, slow, etc., change the plugs as a first step. Also there was a recall on this model for a problem with the wiring harness: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunner/fmc/factory_modification_letter_WR2004-004.pdf Its probably already been fixed, but worth checking on

Enjoy the new ride!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thank you Sir. Exactly what I was looking for. I truly appreciate your time and expertise. I will proceed as you've advised.

I just checked out the Island Racing site and found everything I need, thanks. I have a follow up question though. I want to get the velocity stacks and air filter. There are two manufacturers: R&D and Riva. Same stuff just a different name printed on the package?? There is definitely a price difference. What's what?

I noticed that, with oil soaked OEM air filter in place, the plastic intake cover is getting sucked in when revving the engine. I appears that removing the AF altogether may be a good idea??? Thoughts?

What is "pump sealing" and do I need to do anything about it?

Oh, on a different topic, this ski came on a P.O.S. "Spirit Trailer" made in Tacoma, WA. Never heard of it and there is no information or website online. One bearing completely disintegrated on the ride home from the purchase. I need new bearings and seals stat and don't know where to source them. Should this just be standard over the counter stuff found at any trailer supply store?

Anyway, thanks again. You've really helped me out. We're gearing up for our annual Lake Powell trip and I'm going to blow the minds of my fellow lakers with my shiny new modern powerhouse. Yeeehaaa.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
You will find many opinions on Riva versus R&D performance upgrades. If you were replacing the intake grate and ride plate, I would definitely recommend the R&D for this particular model ski. As for other parts, I don't know. I'd recommend you post that question on the "Greenhulk" forum: GreenHulk Personal Watercraft Performance Forums There are a lot more guys that do mods there.

Definitely get rid of the oil soaked filter. Even a little oil will significantly affect performance of this ski.

Pump sealing helps close gaps, etc. in the pump that can lead to cavitation, which will reduce performance of the ski. Pump sealing by itself, we are probably talking about an almost unnoticable difference on most skis (maybe .5 mph improvement). Pump sealing is usually done as a part of an intake grate/ride plate/impeller upgrade, by guys that are trying to tweek every available mph out of their ski.

Don't know about the trailer.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts