Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just picked up a 2004 GP1300R with 66 hours on it and in the past week since I bought it I got it up to 71 hours. With the 5 hours I’ve been out on the water, I have added nearly 2 gallons of oil so far to the ski. She does smoke a lot at idle and cleans up slightly at cruise but still can see a little smoke come out. Reading up on the manual it is a pain in the butt to get to the oil pump. Any ideas?

I topped off my oil before I went out today. I didn’t even use a half a tank and filled it up with a quart of oil that I had left in my gallon bottle and still needs more oil.

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
I would check the cable going to your oil pump. There is a set of marks on the pump body and cable cam that must align for the mix ratio to be correct. If the cable has come off the pump it can go into a fail safe and over oil. This may explain your abondant oil usage. The marks should be aligned with the throttle closed and adjust to correct free play. These are a variable ratio pump the give a ratio of around 200/1 @ idle to 30/1 at full throttle. If the cable has come loose or off it probably lubing at 30/1 all the time.

My 02 GP800r uses about a gallon of oil to about 5 or 6 tanks of fuel on average.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know you have to take the intake and exhaust off to get at the pump. Is there an easy to to feel if the cable came loose?

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
If you can manage to get a light and hand mirror in somewhere would be the only way I know of to be able to get a visual. You may be able to feel for the cable physically being off. But you'll have to visually see the pump to confirm timing marks.

I only see the need to remove the elbow in the front portion of the exhaust. Undoing the rubber boots at the green mark. Then unbolting the union at the red mark plus whatever other bolts that may mount the unit. PITA yes, but nessesary to confirm. You'll need a new gasket for the red union. Checking gasket pricing. the gasket is about $35/40. Not cheap. So if you can check with mirror or hand Pryor would save some cash.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for your insight so far. Very informative. I will start Monday taking it apart and will give an update what I find.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts