Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to the forum. Just purchased a pair of 2004 GP1300's with about 100 hours. Did my homework and feel good about them. I have been researching the block off kits and premix issues. My question is, any new developments in 2004 or is it the same oil pump issues with the lines coming off and failure with engine seizure? The previous owner knew nothing of the conversion to premix debates and thought I was crazy to convert to premix. If it's still a concern, is there a good DIY on the conversion with pictures? Would really appreciate advice as I am nervous every time I take them out.

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
There are many older watercraft still running around with the oil injectiopn system. There are many advantages to oil injection:

1) You use less oil

2) The engine stays cleaner etc

Personally I would keep it but it's up to you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice. Trying to decide on the best action is not easy as a friend of mine already blocked off his GP1200 and said " if you block off, you only have to premix and take a couple of hours to complete the project, if you don't, you will always be thinking of it when you ride and if you seize the engine, you'll never forgive yourself". Kind of make sense to me. Seems I have more to lose if I don't block off and failure occurs then if I block off and nothing occurs. To block off or not to block off...that is the question.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Thanks for the advice. Trying to decide on the best action is not easy as a friend of mine already blocked off his GP1200 and said " if you block off, you only have to premix and take a couple of hours to complete the project, if you don't, you will always be thinking of it when you ride and if you seize the engine, you'll never forgive yourself". Kind of make sense to me. Seems I have more to lose if I don't block off and failure occurs then if I block off and nothing occurs. To block off or not to block off...that is the question.
Dude why go back to the technology of the 1990's??? The whole reason oil injection was invented was to meter the right ratio at all RPMS. I.E. at an ilde your ratio is about 100:1, at WOT it is about 50:1. So you would have to premix at 50:1 apprx. Which is 1 pint oil to 6 gallons gas. That is too rich for idling. You most likely will start fouling plugs, produce more blue stinky smoke, and use way more oil. I have not heard of Seadoo oil injection failing or the twenty Skidoo snowmobiles I have owned over the years.

If you are really worried check your oil tank by making level marks with a sharpie and see if it is dropping. Maybe Yamaha's is not as dependable.......

·
Premium Member
1,054 Posts
I agree with Outlaw all the way, injection is the way to go. There is proof that oil injected injected engines stay cleaner inside from not being overly rich with oil. Plus your carbs stay cleaner from having pure gasoline in them versus a gas/oil mixture. I owned a 96 SeaDoo GSX with over 600 hours on the motor with original oil pump and engine!:appl:

Plus another thing to think about if you ever decide to sell your watercraft most people don't want to premix gas/oil so it will be a tough sell. Not to mention you'll be using much more oil than with the injection system which means $$ burned up. Plus if you go a long ride you'll have to carry oil with you and properly measure it before getting fuel. Just a pain in the neck, really.

Premix isn't fool proof either you could forgot to add oil or not add enough and screw your engine up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I certainly agree with you guys about the oil injection being a much better system as far as it being more efficient and cleaner for the engine. But am I wrong to think that the problem seems to be heavily weighed in the Yamaha pool as if you look at alot of Yamahas for sale, there are many rebuilt engines due to oil starved engines. I am finding out though, that most are from oil lines coming off rather than a pure oil pump failure so maybe the answer is to somehow secure the oil lines better than the factory does. Maybe zip ties?

·
Registered
811 Posts
I certainly agree with you guys about the oil injection being a much better system as far as it being more efficient and cleaner for the engine. But am I wrong to think that the problem seems to be heavily weighed in the Yamaha pool as if you look at alot of Yamahas for sale, there are many rebuilt engines due to oil starved engines. I am finding out though, that most are from oil lines coming off rather than a pure oil pump failure so maybe the answer is to somehow secure the oil lines better than the factory does. Maybe zip ties?
Zip ties should work fine. Just inspect the hoses when they start to harden replace them before they become brittle and crack. Ignorance and negligence are responsible for about 50 % of my local dealer's repairs, according to the owner. A keen eye and common sense is a plus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts