Personal Water Craft Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys im kinda new to pwcs ive owned 2 and am looking at a 2004 yamaha gp1300r.
it has been sitting for the past 2 years so i asked the owner why and he said it blew up so i took it to my shop and pulled the head and the rear cylinder has a big gash on the exhaust side and a notch in the piston causing no compression so i pulled off the pv cover and the screw that holds the pv to the shaft was broken and just sitting there im trying to figure out if i can just replace that cylinder and piston and screw of if its a bigger underlying issue

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
You could get away with doing that if you can find a good single cyl. eBay maybe. Of course it would be best to do the whole top end. That way all three are fresh. If there original they are nikasil plated. But anything you get after market is steel sleeved. Unless you send yours off to "us chrome" to be repaired. They will weld it up and replate it.
A sleeved top end kit from SBT is $695 plus core.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You could get away with doing that if you can find a good single cyl. eBay maybe. Of course it would be best to do the whole top end. That way all three are fresh. If there original they are nikasil plated. But anything you get after market is steel sleeved. Unless you send yours off to "us chrome" to be repaired. They will weld it up and replate it.
A sleeved top end kit from SBT is $695 plus core.
i would like to do the whole top end but am just looking for options and to see if there is a reason the pv screw failed and if that pv failure was the reason the piston got burnt and lost compression

·
Registered
1,607 Posts
Post some pics. This will help with evaluation. But my guess would be the screw failure caused the piston failure.
The power valves on the 800,1200,1300 motors were one of there weak links. Screws breaking, screws falling out, or pins from valve ends, or valve blade breakage. The valve linkage and assemblies need to be updated to avoid this. This is a well known issue of these motors. Several companies make updated valves, and links to solve this. SBT is one. They sell valves, links, screws, in sets to replace everything solving the issue.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts