Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be running my 2004 1300 GPR in salt water in the upcoming season. Is is OK to spray the Salt Away solution directly on the engine and spray the whole engine compartment and let is dry on it so as not to have the salt on all the screws etc. I use it on the trailer and all on the outside but was hesitant to spray the inside engine compartment. I usually do not even wet the engine compartment at all. Any other suggestions on salt water maintenance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. ( Gonna be 85 F at the NC coast this weekend ... yeah ! )

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Before you ride the first time, I'd recommend spraying the engine compartment and metal parts down with Fluid Film. It will give you long lasting corrosion protection on all the metal parts and it won't hurt plastic, paint, rubber, etc..

You can wash the inside of the ski down with Salt-Away, but I recommend letting the engine cool before you do it. Hot engines, can pull cool water into places you don't want water. They also sell a kit to use to flush the ski with Salt-Away. You will definitely want to do a fresh water flush after EVERY ride in salt water. Not a bad idea to do a Salt-Away flush and rinse off the engine compartment once a month or so. Then reapply the Fluid Film every so often and you will be fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great advice. Where do you get the Fluid Film? Do you spray the entire engine compartment, as well as all the outside metal parts? I do have the Salt Away kit to flush the ski and was planning to use it after every time in the salt water.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I used to get it off Ebay, but found it locally at a John Deere place. It can be hard to find locally, so you may have to order it. You just spray it on all the metal inside and out. It won't hurt if you get some overspray on plastic, rubber, etc.. You can wipe off any excess. I actually know a guy that sprays it over his entire ski.......says its better than wax, but I would not recommend doing that. I don't know what it might do to paint and decals over the long term. I use a silicone spray on rubber and plastic (you can find it at any autoparts store).

Other products that you could substitute if you can't find the Fluid Film: CRC 656, and Corrosion X. I've used both of these, but I don't think either work as well or last as long as the Fluid Film.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts