Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok First let me start by saying thank you to whoever can help me. On Monday I bought 2 2004 gtx 4tec supercharged skis. I put them in the water to water test and they were fine. They had been setting for a long while and seemed good. I will call them ski 1 and ski 2.

Ski 1 has 125 hours on it and it was unknown as to if the charger had been rebuilt, so after riding it on the intercoastal waterway and only getting around 45 mph out of it I decided that the charger must need to be rebuilt. I found a charger from a buddy that had only around 25 hrs on it so I took out the old one and installed the new one today. Now the old one was free spinning :confused:. I then started to immediately look for the clutch washers and low and behold one of them is missing. I got the new charger installed correctly and it starts and runs fine. I checked the oil filter and found very tiny shards of aluminum (charger fan I think), I say aluminum because it doesnt stick to my magnet. The motor seems fine but I dont know if I should be running it or not in its current condition. My questions would be what is the appropriate action to take. My wife and I were supposed to go riding tomorrow and I still really want to. Moving on.

Ski 2 runs like a dream. It was obviously more powerful than 1 when I took them for a test ride (ride was approximately 1 hour on both skis). As I was going back to the dock, the oil light came on. It had oil when I went out. I limped back on the trailer and found that the oil was in the bottom of the hull. I have no water in my oil or oil in my coolant. I have been able to definitively say that the pump housing on the front case of the motor , the oil cooler, top of the oil filter, supercharger and starter are not the cause of the leak. I fill the oil and it is fine until I run the ski and then it is blasting it out in the bottom somewhere. I must have had 5-10 qts in there today trying to find the leak. It is not coming out the exhaust, nor the outboard drive area. I have been looking trying to find the witness hole and cant find the location of it so if anyone can help please do. I am a good mechanic for motorcycles but I have not worked on any 4 stroke skis before.

I bought two riva rebuild kits for the chargers and am going to do that on friday and saturday. provided I get the rest of this sorted out. Thanks again for the help

Andy:(

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I am a bout to cry over this stuff. They were suppose to run good with no problems. I paid 7k for them and a trailer so I am not too far down yet but still another 1k and I could have bought some 06 model skis. Please somebody good help me. I will send pics and do whatever.

·
Registered
811 Posts
I am a bout to cry over this stuff. They were suppose to run good with no problems. I paid 7k for them and a trailer so I am not too far down yet but still another 1k and I could have bought some 06 model skis. Please somebody good help me. I will send pics and do whatever.
I don't have the knowledge to properly advise you on a solution to the problem. thizs is the first time I have seen a problem like this. I will however reach out to my dealer and some buddies of mine that work on these motors from top to bottom and get back to you. As I don't want to see a fellow Seadoo guy suffering. Hang in there and don't blow them up until I can get some help.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Out law I found the leak.

I started pulling the motor and found that the seal around the drive shaft is leaking when under pressure. i think it may have been improperly put together when the prior owner must have had work done to it. As for the other ski it is running good. I took it to a seadoo repair shop and they flushed the broken washer bits out for me. I then put it all back together and she is running great. Hopefully I will be in the water by next weekend. It all depends on when I can get my seals.

Thanks again for the help.

Andy

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just bought a GTX 4-tec super charged, sea doo, it will start fine, idle good but when given any throttle the engine don't rev up. I was wondering would the tether switch have anything to do with this problem?????

·
Super Moderator
5,059 Posts
No. The lanyard is a safety switch. It is either on or off.
Start a new thread in the Seadoo section, and we will see what we can do.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just bought a GTX 4-tec super charged, sea doo, it will start fine, idle good but when given any throttle the engine don't rev up. I was wondering would the tether switch have anything to do with this problem?????
Replace your plugs I do this every year. You will be surprised

1 - 7 of 7 Posts