Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a newbe to this forum and appreciate in the information I have found here so far.

I am considering buying 2 - RXP 215 and need some advice regarding life expectancy.

These are 2004 and are in excellent shape. Very few scrapes to the hulls and the seats look new. One owner and he took very good care of them.

They started right up.

The question is regarding the 160hrs on each and if they have much life left in them?

The owner says he has had zero problems with them so far and just had them serviced. He paid $23k new for both and $2k for the double trailer. He's asking $10.5k for all.

What is the life expectancy of these motors and impeller jets? Does the super charger reduce engine life much? How much are these really worth?

I have only rented previously so these will be my first PWC's to own and I would appreciate constructive advice. Sorry for the newbe questions...
Thanks

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey, just thought I would try and help with advice on the RXP'S. First of all the 04 RXP was a fast two seater with a 1497 cc supercharged and intercooled, 215 HP engine. At 160 hrs the wear ring should have been replaced around 120 hours. Things to look out for,

1. compression test the cylinders
2. Sea trial each one. Just because they run on land does not
mean that they will run well with a load on them. Check for
leaks.
3. Also find out how old the batteries are, replacements are over
$100.00
4 Depending on how the skis were rode the superchargers may
need to be checked.

As far as the price is concerned I would go $500 -$1,000 lower.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey, just thought I would try and help with advice on the RXP'S. First of all the 04 RXP was a fast two seater with a 1497 cc supercharged and intercooled, 215 HP engine. At 160 hrs the wear ring should have been replaced around 120 hours. Things to look out for,

1. compression test the cylinders
2. Sea trial each one. Just because they run on land does not
mean that they will run well with a load on them. Check for
leaks.
3. Also find out how old the batteries are, replacements are over
$100.00
4 Depending on how the skis were rode the superchargers may
need to be checked.

As far as the price is concerned I would go $500 -$1,000 lower.
Thanks for the advice. What you say makes sense. I'll see if he has service records.

I'll definitely check if the wear ring was replaced.

Asked a Seadoo service tech about the blowers service interval and he said if they have ceramic washers, get them changed out immediately to the metal washers. The blowers should be rebuilt at 100 - 150 hrs. I'll check with the owner.

The owner said they only last 2-3 years. Does that seem right?

When compression testing, is it the same as a car? Disconnect all the plug wires and pull one plug at a time and crank the engine a few turns with the gauge in place? Sorry for the newb question, just don't what to overlook and do something stupid. I've had motorcycles, but not a ski yet.

I'll ask to take them on a nearby lake. I can hardly wait!

thanks again for the advice. :thumbsup: Really want to get on the water soon. :D

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey it is Bob from Delaware. Yes that is the correct way to test the compression. As far as the superchager washers go I agree that they should be replaced with metal ones Riva performance also has some upgrades for the supercharger. My 2006 RXT has a Riva Stage Three Performance kit on it with the metal washers that kit increased my horsepwer from 215 HP to about 300 HP. needless to say it is a big handfull, speed on GPS is any where between 74 - 76 MPH. One thing not to do is to jump real high out of the water and and let them rev too high with no load or water. That is bad for the bearings in the supercharger. Good luck with your purchase!!:cheers:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey it is Bob from Delaware. Yes that is the correct way to test the compression. As far as the superchager washers go I agree that they should be replaced with metal ones Riva performance also has some upgrades for the supercharger. My 2006 RXT has a Riva Stage Three Performance kit on it with the metal washers that kit increased my horsepwer from 215 HP to about 300 HP. needless to say it is a big handfull, speed on GPS is any where between 74 - 76 MPH. One thing not to do is to jump real high out of the water and and let them rev too high with no load or water. That is bad for the bearings in the supercharger. Good luck with your purchase!!:cheers:
Thanks Bob for the sanity check on compression testing.

yeah, I learnded the hard way to let off the throttle when in the air offroading....axles break there when contact is made again. I'll remember to get off the throttle on the ski as well. :laugh:

Sounds like you have one hot ride there. I'm going to start off stock and learn the ropes first. Thanks again for the input!:D

Phill

1 - 5 of 5 Posts