Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2004 Yamaha xlt1200. When the engine is cold and has sat for more than 3 days, I have a heck of a time starting it. I pull the choke and have to pump the throttle to get it to start. I might have to hold the start for more than 10 seconds while pumping the throttle. I may repeat this several times before the engine will start. I don't hold that start button for too long so that I do not burn the starter up. The plugs get wet, but I rarely every flood the engine to the point it will not eventually start. My battery is new and I am getting good spark. I winterize the machine every year and this has been going on for over 3 years. Does anyone know what is going on? Is this normal for this machine? Is there something I can do differently? Once it starts, It runs great and starts well warm or the next day. Please help!!! I don't want to burn my start up.

·
Registered
209 Posts
yep thats a common problem......they dont necesarily need to be rebuilt..

remove the choke cable, lever, and choke plates from the carbs,,, buy a triple primer kit and hook the main line of the primer to your fuel return line of the carbs...... this will now prime the carbs themselves and squirt fuel in near the flame arrestors..... before i did it on mine it was a bitch to start,now it can sit for days and it starts up in seconds when its cold, with just a few pumps from the primer plunger..

the choke just starves the motor of air, so in turn theres more fuel being delivered to the carbs...... primers add fuel to the already abundant air, so its a win win with a primer kit.......

·
Registered
1 Posts
starting probs xlt 800

That sounds exactly like my starting problem, 2002 xlt 800. The one difference is that last time I used carb cleaner sprayed into the port on the airbox to help start it...and it ran fine for about 4 minutes. Then it shut off and would not restart. Now when I start the starter engages, you can hear it clank into position as it tries to move, then it sounds as if it's locked up. It makes the sound of a servo when it cannot move it's intended part because of jamming. Any thoughts? Did I use to much cleaner and cause the mixture to detonate and lock up the cylinders? Tell me it's probly easier than that...

I grew up with a straight 6 mercury 115hp outboard...those primers are a much better idea than a choke...I should try that. Or just get an 03/04 4 stroke-surely they don't have these starting problems???

·
Registered
209 Posts
That sounds exactly like my starting problem, 2002 xlt 800. The one difference is that last time I used carb cleaner sprayed into the port on the airbox to help start it...and it ran fine for about 4 minutes. Then it shut off and would not restart. Now when I start the starter engages, you can hear it clank into position as it tries to move, then it sounds as if it's locked up. It makes the sound of a servo when it cannot move it's intended part because of jamming. Any thoughts? Did I use to much cleaner and cause the mixture to detonate and lock up the cylinders? Tell me it's probly easier than that...

I grew up with a straight 6 mercury 115hp outboard...those primers are a much better idea than a choke...I should try that. Or just get an 03/04 4 stroke-surely they don't have these starting problems???

if you pull your plugs can you rotate the crank by hand? if so its not locked up....

do a compression test to make sure the rings are good..

charge your battery and make sure all the battery leads and stator wire are connected properly...

either your starter is bad, the bendix inside the stator cover is bad, or your flywheel fell off cuz the crank snout snapped.......

do you have a manual? it will give you breakdowns of what needs to be done to check certain components.....

hook the battery leads directly to the starter, bypassing everything on the ski,, if the starter spins then your good......

if it spins and doesnt engage anything then its time to take the stator cover off......

·
Registered
1 Posts
had same problem

I have a 2004 Yamaha xlt1200. When the engine is cold and has sat for more than 3 days, I have a heck of a time starting it. I pull the choke and have to pump the throttle to get it to start. I might have to hold the start for more than 10 seconds while pumping the throttle. I may repeat this several times before the engine will start. I don't hold that start button for too long so that I do not burn the starter up. The plugs get wet, but I rarely every flood the engine to the point it will not eventually start. My battery is new and I am getting good spark. I winterize the machine every year and this has been going on for over 3 years. Does anyone know what is going on? Is this normal for this machine? Is there something I can do differently? Once it starts, It runs great and starts well warm or the next day. Please help!!! I don't want to burn my start up.
I also had the same problem and mine sat for days one summer thinking i had to bring it to a mechanic, all you do is pump the throttle about 20 times with the choke off and then try to start it, they have gravity fed fuel pumps not electric so take a bit to get going when sat for a while.

·
Registered
3 Posts
XLT1200 hard to start when cold

Had the same issue with 2004 XLT1200 that alot of others have had when trying to start it when it sat along time between uses such as over the winter season. I tried for about an hour one day and it just would not "catch" and run. Battery ended up dying. Fully charged the battery back up and then I turned on the gas knob and then pumped the choke in and out really fast about 10 times. Left the choke pulled out, held the gas in for about 5 sec and gave it a try. Tried to "catch" right away and just about started. Gave it a try again and it started running and I pushed the choke all the way back in and gave it some gas and she was running! Started it a few more times after waiting a few mins and she started right up. Not sure what the real cause was for the hard start either being batter not fully charged or just not enough choke or combo of both but wanted to pass this on for others since it worked for me.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts