Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I recently bought two jet skis... one of which is a Yamaha (mine!). We got a great deal on it, bought from an older man (one owner) that had only put 38 hours on it. We've had it in the water for the last month and it has run like a champ. However, when my husband and some friends took it to the lake on Saturday it decided to act up. When he first put it in the water and cranked it up, they idled out of the no wake zone... got out of the zone, gave it some gas, and the engine didn't rev (maybe 4000rpms) and wouldn't run over 11-12 mph. Trolled back up to the dock, loaded it on the trailer, took it out of the water, gave it some gas and it revved up fine. Put it back in the water, trolled back out of the no-wake zone, gave it gas but it would only go to about 9000rpm and only about 40mph. It never would really go like it can and should. I've tried searching the forums and I've not had any luck with any answers. Any ideas?

(note: it would rev all of the way up in reverse)

·
Registered
811 Posts
It sounds by the way your describing things that you may have something caught in the pump, because it runs ok on the trailer. You may want to take off the inlet grate and check from that end also. See if something is wrapped around the shaft It sounds like something is holding it back under power. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3 Posts
FX Cruiser HO

I have a 05 FX cruiser ho that did the same thing.Changed plugs and it runs great.Something about the HO and sparkplugs Hope this helps!

·
Registered
811 Posts
Hey there you need to find a guy on this forum goes by "Ernest T." he knows alot about Yamahas. Good Luck -

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Yea, try new plugs. The FX HO fouls plugs easily and you get immediate poor performance. Try to avoid long periods of idling, especially when the engine is cold, which seems to kill the plugs.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for the info. We will look into the plugs. We took it back to the lake today just to see how it would do (had not read the responses yet... duh!) and it wouldn't even crank in the water. Put it back on the trailer, it cranked fine. Just bananas! Needless to say, i had to ride on the back of another....

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just wanted to let everyone know that we have SUCCESS with new plugs... YEAH!! We bought an extra set to keep on hand. They were pretty black when my husband pulled them out!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts