Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 FX HO Cruiser and recently did an oil change. This time however I was only able to extract 1 3/4 quarts out of the oil tank and yes I made sure the suction tube on the oil extractor went past the baffle into the lower chamber of the oil tank. The only thing different this time vs last when doing the oil change is that instead of changing it after a day at the lake when the engine was at operating temperature for several hours, I started it cold on the hose at the house and ran for 15 minutes revving it occasionally to what I thought would be close to the required operating temperature but it was just barely on the tip of the dipstick when I checked after shutting it off. The past 2 oil changes when I would extract the oil after the run at the lake I would get the 2 1/4 - 2 1/2 quarts which is expected and now I am coming up short. Oil only had 18 or so hours on it from the previous change last season. The question is where did the oil go? Any ideas? Ski currently has 135 hours. Has anyone experienced this? Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I'd say the difference is primarily due to the engine not being completely up to operating temp. Its just about impossible to get it hot enough on the hose alone. When you ride the ski for 15 plus minutes more oil gets pushed up into the oil separator where it then drips back down into the oil tank. This doesn't happen on the hose.

The other factor is that the MR-1 engines do typically burn some oil. My ski burns around 3/4 quart for every 50 hours of run time, but other guys have reported more loss. So some of the loss could be from normal burn off. I wouldn't worry about it. I've experienced the exact same thing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I've experienced the same thing with my 2008 FX Cruiser SHO. I now change the oil after a short ride so its nice and thin when it gets sucked out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts