Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
First time in the water this year the ski has a smooth idle and runs OK but will only go up to 25 in L mode or regular.
Low hours ski, fogged and oil change every year.
Anybody have this problem?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No cavatation, maybe 3-4000 revs, no clog in the intake, it was like this right off the trailer from winter storage. Don't have a compression tester (at vacation home) to check for a stuck valve, but it runs so smooth,I doubt it. Really feels electrical.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I know it sounds so simple but chuck some new plugs in. Also, run it for five minuits with the air filter off. Does it sound as if it is running on 2 or 3??

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After launch and going 18 mph all the way to the dock I pulled and cleaned the plugs and got to 25 mph next try. Will rev high on the dock with no load, but under load only 25 and 4000 rpm. Will buy plugs and retry on Thursday, also will do compression test. Is there a cam sensor on these 4 strokes?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had the same pb last week for the smae jet ski model. could not go more than 35 mph. i changed the plugs and back to 55 + mph. Check also the air filter. I am not an expert but it was my fix.

·
Registered
285 Posts
don't forget the air filter also, Just had a yamaha in the shop and he could hardly get any speed out of it from last year, I pulled the air filter and it was full of mold, replaced it and he was back up to speed. Simple fix, but it would also be a good Idea to change the plugs too, could be fouled up from when it was fogged for winter, and it can't hurt anything doing maintaince.

·
Registered
8 Posts
same problem

Just bought a 05 yamaha HO with same problem.Had serviced by yamaha tech .Will go about 45 at 8000 and thats it.Tech checked plugs and said they appeard to be fine.Maybe need to change anyhow.Is this a difficult task ?? Thanks

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have read extensively on this issue and have found that the only things that really happen to these skis is clogged air filter and bad plugs. The OEM filter is the one everyone says to get, it can clog with mold that you may not notice. Run it without it and see what happens. My plugs looked fine but I am told that new ones should solve the problem. I have them but have not put in the ski yet.
On Friday I should have them in and I'll post results.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts