Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2005 VX110 last year from a rental place with about 500 miles on it, and it was running great then.

We rode them all summer last year without too many problems. At the end of the year, however, we accidently did not tighten the gas cap on one of them and the cap came off, and water (salt water) went into the gas tank. We pulled it out of the water ASAP and started to pump out the gas/water mixture (there was A LOT of water in there). I can't quite remember, but I think we put in some new gas and tried running it for a bit longer after that, but didn't really run it.

As I get ready for the season this year, I changed the spark plugs on it and took it out. It has a hard time starting and when it does start (giving it a bit of gas to really start), you have to keep on the throttle just a bit so it does not shut off. If you let go of the throttle, it dies out. The VX barely has any power when going and has no top speed (about 35 mph).

The engine seems like it's misfiring and running extremely rough. I checked out the spark plugs and coils and they seem to be okay (all plugs coils spark). I also went through an entire tank of premium gas to see if it was just some water vapors still mixed with the gas that needed to be burnt out. This did not work, so I put in some gas cleaner stuff (which should take care of any water in the gas tank), but that also did not work.

I'm starting to run out of options and I do not know what is wrong with the skii. I'm somewhat mechanically inclined in cars and motorcycles, but I'm not very familiar on what to do when it comes to water problems. I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on what to check next and what it could be.

I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Make sure to check your fuel filter also could be clogged, Not sure if you can check the rail pressure on the motor, beleive it is fuel injected. And check the air filter also, have had a few of them this year that were plugged and moldy, once replaced ski's ran great. Not sure what salt water can do to a fuel pump or injectors when exposed to it for a long time. Good luck, keep us posted.

·
Registered
323 Posts
probably pull out the fuel sender out of the tank and clean the filter. There is one on the bottom of the tank too (on the sender). Also, take the flame arrestors off, pull the throttle wide open (with engine off) and look down at the valves with a torch. If they have rust on them, they wont be seating properly in which case its a big job. If you ever get salt water in the fuel you must always thoroughly flush it out and run the engine at high revs for a long time (riding it) before storing.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the suggestions... I have another air filter, so I'll throw that in there to see if it makes a difference. I unfortunately can't check the pressure on the fuel rails bc I don't have the tool, but I will take a look at the fuel fuel filter to see if anything there.

I'll also try to look at the valves, hopefully no rust there. I'm guessing the flame arrestors is the air filter box and the stuff leading to the throttle butterfly? If not, can you please elaborate on what that is?

Here's a log of what has been done/will do:
1. Run Jet Skii for 1 full tank of premium gas - Done, did not work
2. Put in a fuel additive to clean out any water moisture - Done, did not work
3. Check Air Filter - To Do
4. Check Valves for rust - To Do
5. Check Fuel Filter - To Do

By the way, is it me, or is the fuel pump ridiculously hard to get out of the gas tank on these things? I sat there for quite some time and couldn't compress the thing enough to pull it out of the tank.

·
Registered
323 Posts
You said in the first post you put new spark plugs in. Make sure you have because that and air filters are the main problem for the symptom you have. the flame arrestors are the 4 round mesh things that bolt onto the throttle bodies. Fuel pumps arent easy to get out. Need to take the whole sender out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
okay, so I went through most of the checks you recommended...

1. There was oil in my air box, so I cleaned that out and cleaned the air filter out (guess I added too much oil when I did the oil change.
2. 2/4 fuel injectors were rusted and NOT fully spraying. Cleaned them up with some WD40 and filled most of the fuel rack with WD40 and let it sit over night (to maybe clean the insides of the fuel rack.
3. Took off the intake manifold to look at the intake valves to see if they were rusty - very clean, no signs of rust at all
4. Took off the valve cover to see if any rust anywhere there, nothing.
5. Took out the fuel pump and drained 1/2 gas tank from the bottom and let the gas sit over night to see if a layer of water formed (my guess is that water is heavier than gas, so it would sit at the bottom of the jet skii tank, and would sit at the bottom of the container once I let it sit overnight). - fuel is clean
6. Bought compression tool, but does not fit in spark plugs! Is there some adaptor or something I would need? Or is it a special compression tool for PWCs?

Put everything back together and started it up... engine does not stall any more (almost stalls, but doesn't). It still idles really rough, but when you give it gas, it feels like the engine starts to run smoother. I haven't water tested it yet (plan on going out this weekend), but will let you know if it has more power than before.

Any other ideas on what it could potentially be? Also, when looking at the fuel pump, I didn't really notice a filter, is there a filter anywhere in there?

As always, I appreciate the help.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Yamaha vx110 2009 sport

I have a 2009 vx110 sport bought it with 700 hrs did run very good out the water and as soon we took it to the lake I couldn't make it go more than 10 mph and no more than 4500 rpm. After reading the post I changed plugs check coils, filters, replace gas thinking maybe I have bad gas, nothing still the same problem then I was told that because the hrs maybe one cylinder , so we checked the compression on all cylinders and they are all fine. Took it to a jet ski mechanic that have a tank on his shop and we test it. Found a exhaust leak we fixed and it is working perfect. Repair cost six packof beer lol

1 - 7 of 7 Posts