Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to PWC so I tend to have lots of questions. Had the ski out this morning and per a post by Ernest T, he thought I should be able to get to 10,000RPM with WOT. When I got out there I got to 8900 RPM and top speed of 63MPH. But then I took I tight turn and it felt like a turbo kicked in (I know this doesn't have a turbo) and BAM, I was up to 10,000RPM and 81 MPH. Any idea why this would happen?

Also, I still have a heavy fuel smell. I can't put any towels or anything in the front cargo area because they will smell like gas. Any other thoughts?

·
Registered
811 Posts
New to PWC so I tend to have lots of questions. Had the ski out this morning and per a post by Ernest T, he thought I should be able to get to 10,000RPM with WOT. When I got out there I got to 8900 RPM and top speed of 63MPH. But then I took I tight turn and it felt like a turbo kicked in (I know this doesn't have a turbo) and BAM, I was up to 10,000RPM and 81 MPH. Any idea why this would happen?

Also, I still have a heavy fuel smell. I can't put any towels or anything in the front cargo area because they will smell like gas. Any other thoughts?
Ok I will ask that you check your speedo and make sure it isn't set on KPH, because sorry there is no way your ski can go 81 mph unless you drive it off Niagra Falls. I have a 295 HP ski that runs 75 MPH. But Ernest can clarify for you.

See Ya :062:

·
Registered
811 Posts
Just a thought, I think your issue is carb related. Maybe you need to clean your carbs. Maybe a float sticking which would cause the carb to flood and spill fuel. Which may be the source of the smell also.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is cleaning carbs something I need to take in to a dealer or is it something that I could attempt myself?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I will ask that you check your speedo and make sure it isn't set on KPH, because sorry there is no way your ski can go 81 mph unless you drive it off Niagra Falls. I have a 295 HP ski that runs 75 MPH. But Ernest can clarify for you.

See Ya :062:
LOL you are probably right. Don't really care about that, more concerned about whether the ski is functioning properly or not.

·
Registered
811 Posts
If you have Mikuni carbs they are fairly easy if you know your way around a wrench. Biggest thing is getting the return springs back on right. Usually there is two clamps holding each carb. Once you remove the carb turn it upside down on some rags. Should be a bowl cap on the bottom, take it off to access main jet etc. If you have never done this get help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts