Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problems im having is my aquatrax isnt running worth a shit. I can do about 40 mph and then it starts running ruff and wont go any faster,and when its idling it doesnt sound right either and some times stalls. every now and then it will take right off and up to 65mph and then all of a sudden thats it???And most of the time its running ruff right from the start,,its all over the place. Any idea guys? this is what ive done so far:New Fuel Pump and filter,Fuel injector cleaner. Checked oil level and is bang on. Checked my turbo to see if it was getting stuck and it spins free and nice.I bought this used and in canada and didnt get a Manual. So im little lost.I couldnt even get parts in Canada i had to get them from Billing Montana.Crazy. Any help is much conciderd guys thanx a million in advance :)

·
Registered
811 Posts
The big problem with the Honda turbos is just that the turbo sux.:smilie_schreck: There have been a lot of posts referencing the waste gate either sticking shut or open which causes all kinds of problems as a result. The only fix is to replace the whole turbo:smashfreakB::furious3:. Honda has stopped building PWCS. Hard to find a dealer here and parts are scarce. Best thing I can say is get it runnin and dump it:Christo_pull_hair: Here is some Honda engineers:15firing::visit::Dead_Horse:

See Ya:pity:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The big problem with the Honda turbos is just that the turbo sux.:smilie_schreck: There have been a lot of posts referencing the waste gate either sticking shut or open which causes all kinds of problems as a result. The only fix is to replace the whole turbo:smashfreakB::furious3:. Honda has stopped building PWCS. Hard to find a dealer here and parts are scarce. Best thing I can say is get it runnin and dump it:Christo_pull_hair: Here is some Honda engineers:15firing::visit::Dead_Horse:

See Ya:pity:
Ha Ha ok. how can i tell if the waste gate is opening or not? and if its stuck and solnoid is workinf still can i clean it up and use again ya think?

·
Registered
28 Posts
test the wastegate

Don't listen to the non belivers, Honda's are great ski's and I have have NO troubles with mine in three season's, 200hrs on salt water, running the daylights out of it. Follow the maintenance schedules, and it will always be reliable and keep you on the water.
Read the following link before you go replacing more parts.
Nitro's waste gate solenoid super quick check procedure

·
Registered
811 Posts
Don't listen to the non belivers, Honda's are great ski's and I have have NO troubles with mine in three season's, 200hrs on salt water, running the daylights out of it. Follow the maintenance schedules, and it will always be reliable and keep you on the water.
Read the following link before you go replacing more parts.
Nitro's waste gate solenoid super quick check procedure
Are you kidding look at the Honda forum threads it is LOADED with complaints on at least 6 different threads about how people are disgusted with Honda and their junk turbos. Ahh, maybe thats why they don't build the junk anymore. One guy had rentals in FLA and had to replace every turbo to tune of $ 3,000.00 and thats reliable???? The dealers are disappearing or don't want nothin to do with them. Honda is like TIGERSHARK Done... Where are all the new wonderful Jet Skis from Honda?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Are you kidding look at the Honda forum threads it is LOADED with complaints on at least 6 different threads about how people are disgusted with Honda and their junk turbos. Ahh, maybe thats why they don't build the junk anymore. One guy had rentals in FLA and had to replace every turbo to tune of $ 3,000.00 and thats reliable???? The dealers are disappearing or don't want nothin to do with them. Honda is like TIGERSHARK Done... Where are all the new wonderful Jet Skis from Honda?
I don't believe it is the Turbo that is the problem in most cases, it has been the WG and have seen the same issues with all brands, not just Honda's turbos. It is the way it is cared for and mistreated in most cases. Persons not familiar with turbos and what they do will definitely have problems. One thing I can think of just from some posts I have read so far is a lack of maintenance and definitely those NOT letting the turbos cool down properly before shutting off. Big Mistake. As far as the guy replacing his fleet @ $3,000 each...ummm...definitely didn't do his homework BEFORE getting the turbos fixed, but can't blame him. Rentals get beat up big time and ridden long hours. We all know these machines get beat on and on and on....don't expect them to last forever if they are not maintained. For every Honda you see in bad shape you will find more of the other brands. Gotta keep the engine systems clean and free from any corrosion...preventing it will payoff big time.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK thanx guys. So i had a look in my Turbo and its in great shape no rust or anything and its spins nice and smooth. i put 20 psi to my waste gate and it opens and closes nice,and i do it buy hand too stiff but possible i can here it slam close. im lost. it runs great in the drive way hooked to the hose except for its idle. One other thing i noticed when its in the water and starts to run shitty i notice that my RPM Tac shoots right up and maxes out and flashes a couple times too?? Any ideas guys? Thanx a million people

·
Registered
10 Posts
Same Problem

I have an 06 that I bought used as well and it sounds like the exact same problem I have. I am working through some test on the waste gate solinoid that I saw on this site. The more I run the ski the worse it gets.

Bryan

·
Registered
236 Posts
The Hondas are very reliable with the proper maintenance. Salt will kill the IHI turbo if it is neglected. I got almost 500 hours out of my '02 before I spun 2 rods overboosting it.

When I take out my Boat or ski here locally [Jax] almost 50% of the 'skis I see being RIDDEN are Hondas. Since there were not that many sold it says something for their reliability.

Honda did pull out of the PWC market, at least for now but is still making BILLIONS without PWC sales. Can SeaDooDoo say the same?

Your problem sounds like it could be fixed with just a set of IR plugs from Advanced Auto Parts [$11 each] and a can of Sea Foam dumped into the gas tank.

·
Registered
811 Posts
Excuse me yes I can say that, The Bombardier Corp is Huge they manufacture a lot more than SeaDoo. Check it out and know your facts before you spout off. I wouldn't even think of owning a maintenance nightmare like the Honda Turbos. Up here on the Chesapeake bay you rarely see a Honda Jet ski. 90% are Yamaha and Seadoo in that order. I own a 2006 RXT with a Riva Stage III kit on it and it is no where near the fiasco to keep runnin like I am witnessing on this forum about Honda. Who has the only IS suspension, IBR controls, closed loop cooling and a stepped hull like 2009 RXT-IS I own ?????

Just look thru the Honda forum. Lot of happy turbo owners there ROFL

·
Registered
10 Posts
I haven't changed plugs yet. I checked them and they look fine. I will drain all the gas and put in some fresh 91 as well. I am currently cheching the function of the turbo and turbo solinoid.

I am starting to think buying this honda was a mistake, 55 hrs on it and having these problems already.

·
Registered
236 Posts
With the IR plugs, you can not base its performance on appearance. Sometimes you can extend their operation by a quick pass through the flame on an Oxy/Acet torch.
The Honda is a fantastic machine but the plugs will foul out if you short cycle it when the engine is cold and the ECM is in the cold enrichment mode [until the oil temp comes up].
Also make sure you are not overfilling it with oil, which even the dealerships do.

·
Registered
3 Posts
With the IR plugs, you can not base its performance on appearance. Sometimes you can extend their operation by a quick pass through the flame on an Oxy/Acet torch.
The Honda is a fantastic machine but the plugs will foul out if you short cycle it when the engine is cold and the ECM is in the cold enrichment mode [until the oil temp comes up].
Also make sure you are not overfilling it with oil, which even the dealerships do.
Hi all. I have had my skis for 5 years. I love them. The very first problem I have had was this weekend. My three seat turbo has started idleing rough. She is coughing back and forth like a cylinder is missing? It runs fine above 8000-11,000 RPMS depending on how hot it is. I have maintained them to the "T"!! Zero rust on anything and flushed EVERY time. Turbos look mint. No lights or buzzers going off. I did find the oil overfilled.

Where to start looking? Anyone? I'm thinking plugs or turbo waste gate

Thanks.

SR

Side note. My friends bought Yamaha and Seadoo at the same time I did. They have had more in repair bills than the cost of the machines over 5 years and have moved on to other machines now. This is my first problem and it looks simple. Granted they didnt take care of their machines like I did. Honda dropping out of the PWC industry is terrible in my opinion and this is the first I have heard of this. I hope its not true!

·
Registered
236 Posts
A set of the IR plugs from Advanced Auto Parts and a can of Sea Foam in the tank and you should be good. My first Honda went 500 hours before I spun the rod bearings by raising the boost to 20 PSI.

·
Registered
3 Posts
You live about 15 minutes from me. Small world. I live near Philips Highway and University Blvd. My skis are still in Tampa. I go there every weekend. Where do you ride? The river?

Ill try the spark plugs and Sea Foam.

Thanks!

SR

·
Registered
236 Posts
We occasionally ride in Ortega River/McGirts Creek/Drs Inlet [my Sister lives on the inlet] and Black Creek when we don't have much time to spend. Otherwise we'll go to Palatka, Welaka, Silver Glenn, St Mary's or the Suwannee.
We do occasionally vacation in Dunedin, staying at the Dunedin yacht club Best Western.

·
Registered
236 Posts
you can replace the waste gate
There is one turbo shop [Majestic Turbo] in Texas that sometimes will change the acturators and a couple of guys on PWCTODAY.COM that were selling a kit to replace it yourself, if you have the skillset to do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts