Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I just purchased a pair of 2006 FX Cruisers with around 40 hours on them. I took them out for the first time two weeks ago, and they both fired right up. After running for about 10 minutes at 3/4 throttle, one of them started to lose power and it felt like it was going to quit. I began to pump the throttle, and all of a sudden the engine began making full power again and it ran great for the rest of the day.

When I took them out last weekend, they both ran great until the end of the day when the one that had the momentary power loss wouldn't start after running great for several hours. I drained the battery almost all the way trying to get it started before I had my friend tow me in. While I was being towed in, I tried cranking it again and it started although it ran rough and wouldn't idle. It seemed to run fine above 3,000 RPM and seemed to be making full power. When I let off the throttle, the engine quit and I could not start it for the rest of the day.

When I got home, I charged the battery, changed the oil, spark plugs, and checked each coil for spark. I hooked up to the hose and tried running it, and after an extremely difficult time starting, it fired up but would only run smoothly above 3,000 RPM. It seems to fire up momentarily after sitting for 30minutes or more but it always takes at least a minute of cranking to get it to catch while it's warm.

I'd like to avoid taking it to the shop if possible. However, I have run out of ideas on what else to check. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Jeff

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
UPDATE: After work, I hit the start switch and it fired right up. It idled fine for a few seconds and then died and would not start. I pulled the plugs again to look at them and checked for spark again as well. This time, I saw spark for a few seconds and then it stopped. I checked all coils and plugs again and they were all dead as well. What do all the coils have in common that would cause intermittent spark?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Loose/corroded connection? Starter relay? Pickup coils? Pulser coil? ECM? (Some may not apply to your machine).

With the intermittent starting, I'd look for a loose/corroded connection 1st. Also check the kill switch, which can be shorting. You can disconnect it to rule it out as a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts