Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I made a post about my FX140 which was difficult to start and would not stay running. I took it to the dealer and after checking all electrical components, compression, fuel etc they could not find anything officially wrong with it. They did say that the oil had been overfilled and removed the throttle body and cleaned up excess oil, did an oil and filter change, air filter and spark plugs. It would start right up but run rough below 5,000 rpm when connected to the hose. The dealer told me to take it out on the water and run it and hopefully that would fix it.

I took it out last weekend and it fired right up but it ran very rough and would not idle. I opened up the throttle, and after passing 5,000 rpm, the engine ran perfect and made full rated power. I ran it for about 15 mins and then let off the power and it would idle but would not run smoothly below 5k rpm. It also makes gray smoke when at idle and consumes way more fuel than it should. After running for about an hour, it started to run perfectly and after another hour of riding it began running rough again.

It definately seems like it is running way too rich at idle/below 5,000rpm but what would cause that kind of condition in a fuel injected engine? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Have you tried removing and inspecting the fuel injectors for dirt. While you have them out check their resistance (11.5-12.5 ohms).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealer pulled them out, tested and cleaned them so the should be ok. Today I noticed that the idle control motor made kind of a grinding noise after the engine shut off. I know a bad bypass motor would cause some of the issues I am having so my question is it normal for it to make a grinding noise after shutdown?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts