Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking of buying an 07 FX160 HO? :dunno: What are your thoughts are these a good ski. Are there many known issues? What speed can you expect out of this ski? Fuel are they good on economy? Are they reliable? Any1 and every1s thoughts on this :) would be great.

Cheers.

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I am thinking of buying an 07 FX160 HO? :dunno: What are your thoughts are these a good ski. Are there many known issues? What speed can you expect out of this ski? Fuel are they good on economy? Are they reliable? Any1 and every1s thoughts on this :) would be great.

Cheers.
Very good ski. I did extensive research, including test rides before I bought a ski, and this model was my #1 choice. Reliable, very stable, dry ride (even in rough water). Will easily ride 3, tow tubes, skiers, wake boarders, etc. Good gas mileage (at least good gas mileage for a ski..........none of them are easy on gas, but this one is about as efficient as you can get in this HP range), and runs on regular gas (unlike the other brands that require premium). Easy to maintain (you can do it yourself with some help from this and other forums. Yamaha makes the most reliable ski on the market (Honda non-turbo comes close). Seadoo and Kawasaki are the worst.

Known issues: There is a known problem with the original hoses and clamps on the 06-08 model FX HOs, but Yamaha will replace the defective parts for free at any dealership even if you are not the original owner, so nothing to worry about. I am not aware of any other problems or issues.

Top speed will be around 58 mph on a stock FX HO. You can get another 5 mph out of them with upgrades. If you want to go fast look at an SHO (70+ stock) or FZR/FZS (80+ with upgrades), but expect to spend a lot more time at the gas pump.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the info Ernest. Roughly how long in secs to get to top speed. My current 99 XL1200 Yamaha does about 94-95kph which is about 58MPH. I was thinking the Newer skis would had gotten abit faster by now but I guess the FX would have way better accelleration then my XL1200.. What upgrades are there for it? Are they DIY upgrades? When you rode the ski was she running on Premo or just regular Unleaded?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
The FX HO accellerates very quickly. There is no hesitation at all (tell your passengers to hang on). I've never measured it, but I'd say that you are at 40 mph in just a few seconds, then it takes longer to gradually reach top speed from that point.

The most popular upgrade options are from R & D Performance R&D Performance Products USA and RIVA Motorsports Welcome to RIVA Motorsports on the World Wide Web!, but there are others as well. I will probably buy from these guys: WATERCRAFT, since they have good prices and post helpful info. The primary "Do-it-Yourself" upgrades include replacing the ride plate, the intake grate, the impeller, the air filter, sealing the pump, etc.. You can buy a kit that packages a number of the upgrades together or do them one at a time. For $500 to $1000 you can coax another 3-5 mph out of the FX HO.

I'm considering a ride plate and intake grate upgrade for my ski, not for increased speed, but for better rough water handling. I'm on a very busy lake with lots of chop. My 08 FX HO will do 60 mph on the GPS on smooth water, and that is as fast as I want to go. I picked up 1 mph when I switched to 10W-40 synthetic oil (Amsoil).

Last season I only ran regular gas (87 octane). This year I'm at a marina that only sells 89 octane. I can tell no difference in performance. I've never tried premium, but doubt there would be any difference (Premium gas should only be needed to prevent pre-detonation = knocking of the engine. It will give you no more speed. Therefore if the engine is not knocking you are wasting money on premium fuel).

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Ernest Champion for that info on the ski. I guess I should look around first the market is just so big these days but I will only stick with my Yami's. Although the FX SHO does appeal to me.. I think I will have to test ride first but the Reviews of the FX SHO say there pretty insane on power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts