Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, newbie here. Got a yamaha gp1300r, 2007. Havin some issues with it. Yamaha of hicksville long island had it for 9 months and they couldnt fix it so now i have to wrench it. Will start up for 5 seconds and die. The check engine lite is on and it intermittently loses spark. Anyone know of a way to scan this for codes if possible? or anything common on these. Any help is appreciated, losing my mind with this thing. Thanks in advance

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
On skis that will show codes, you push and hold the mode or select button for 8 seconds to get the codes. On models with multiple buttons, you push and hold both buttons on the left side of the panel for 8 seconds.

At least it sounds like you have spark and the engine turns over. I'd look for a fuel problem first (fuel filter clogged, gummed up carb.). Does this model have the power valves?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, it does have the power valves. I pushed that button and it displayed number 18 fault code. You know where I can get a service manual or list of fault codes? The fuel system was drained and flushed recently when the dealer did a restoration on it and replaced almost everything except the vin

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
On my ski #18 is "Throttle Position Sensor Malfunction". I don't know for sure if this code would be the same on your ski. You need a service manual or someone that has one to know for sure.

I think the throttle has to be closed to start the ski. I'm not sure, but a stuck throttle cable might cause the error code, holding the throttle open a little bit and keeping the sensor from letting it run.

Also didn't know if you had seen this recall from Yamaha about throttle cable problems on the 1300: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/waverunner/fmc/factory_modification_letter_WR2008-001R.pdf

Could the error code be related to this recall problem?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ernest, I cannot thank you enough for the info. The fault code index you gave me seems to be good. I checked the tps sensor and one terminal has severe corrosion which would make sense if it wont start if it doesnt see closed position. Gonna clean it up and re-check and see what it does. I read that recall and hoepfully it was performed at the dealer recently, i inspected the cables and they look good, no corrosion and smooth operation with no binding. I'll post updates after the repair, thanks again.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i cleaned the wire, jetski starts and idles. if i give it throttle it will rev up. seems like it hangs on high rpms and then will smoke alot out the exhaust. Also still getting the 18 fault code. At least its running now, could that recall be the culprit? this sound like a faulty binding?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts