Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ugghhhhh! I am so frustrated with my 2008 Kawasaki Stx 15f. I bought it brand new last yuear and it currently has 20 hrs on it. It just ran out of the 12 month warranty and I opted not to buy the extended warranty. Before warranty ran out the ski would run then once I turned the ski off it would not restart. The ski would turn over and not restart at all. Of course once I was towed back to the dock the ski started right up. At first I thought maybe I sucked something up and that the tow cleared it out.

A few months later I took the ski out again and the same thing happened. I took it to my local dealer who could find nothing wrong with it running in a water tank. When they took it out on opwn water the same problem that I detailed happened to them. They consulted with Kawasaki directlt and it was diagnosed with a bad water temp switch. I took the ski out the nexxt time and it ran perfectly. Relief........not so fast! I took the ski out yesterday and the same problem from before happened again. Once I was towed the ski started up with no problem.

I am searching for answers of anyone that is knowledgeable with what could be the problem. I am rationally trying to narrow down the problem without getting whack a huge repair charge since now the ski is out of warranty. My thoughts are that maybe there is water in the gas, or maybe a bad stop start switch. I read a blog where someone stated that lifting the stop switch another 1/8 of an inch up and their ski started.

I am very nervous in taking the ski out now for fear geting stranded again. Any thoughts in rectifying my issue I would greatly appreciate.

Thx,
Rich in Sarasota, Florida

·
Registered
285 Posts
also look and see where the fuel lines run on the ski, its kinda sounding like once the ski cools down some it will start. If the fuel lines run to close to any hot surface this can happen, vapor lock is what they call it. You can cure this by simply insulating around the fuel lines that are near any hot surface, take a old hose bigger than the current fuel line, split it down the center in what ever lenght you need and slide it over the line and it will help to keep the heat down. If fuel gets to hot it boils and gets air in it and causes this problem, not sure if its your problem but maybe?

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have the same problem with my 2008 250 Ultra...I have her in the water it runs A-1 no lack of power everything is perfect, do a few run for about 10- 15 min then if i stop it, for any reason, Wait about 2 min the ski will not restart until it cools off, about 15-20 min later there we go she start and we are back in buisness just like nothing happened.

I did check my fuel line and will be testing first thing in the morning.

Mine only has 6 hrs but the dealer can not figure out the problem.

Rich can you post your result ...I will do the same.

Thx,

Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rich,
Had mine out today...gas is not the problem for me it's a fire or electrical problem. I test it with a new spark plug to see if I was having a fuel or spark problem 'result: no spark' when it was acting up but I did take the fuel rail out to make sure if there was a spray of fuel & I did.

So Now Kawasaki is sending me a New Computer to try it out.

How did you make out ?

Thx,

Kevin

·
Registered
323 Posts
It does sound like a temp sensor issue to me. When the ski stops for a while after being run, the engine will get hotter possibly triggering the sensor to stop spark. It sounds like this is happening to a few people with these skis. I am thinking it may be the actual temp sensor is doing its job, maybe it was placed poorly in the exhaust. Kawasaki may have to come up with a revised version of the temp sensor or somewhere else to put it.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Is sounding like the temp sensor good call GCwaverunner, don't know if their is a way to just or bypass the sensor, or just unhook it and try it that way next time it cuts out like that. If it is the sensor you would find out pretty quickly.

·
Registered
5 Posts
restarting dilemma

had same problem with my 06kawasaki stx 15-f.tried everything then somebody gave me starting fluid.a quick blast and I was off.so now I don't leave land without it.hope it works 4u.let me know if this works 4u.good luck mike,p.s. just a quick blast with the starting fluid.after u squirt it.wait a minute then turn it over,actually 20-30seconds will do. also take the seat off when u r done riding that will help if there r sensor issues

·
Registered
209 Posts
You have to read the [post dates. The original poster may be dead by now... its been 4 1/2 years.
I love it when guys post a "please help me" and then never reply back with any feedback... whatever they learned apparently isn't worth sharing with the rest of us.
there are a lot of old threads on this forum... its not very active. i only check it every few months myself.

Just to throw in an opinion... I don't think its the temp sensor since it should still start up in limp mode (so you could cool it off with some waterflow from the pump ... assuming you cleared the blockage or whatever. I do believe it was heat related (that's why it didn't show up in the test tank... didn't run hard/long enough to get that hot). Vapor lock, or weak pump, or electrical issue that shows up when too hot.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts