Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 Yamaha vx110 deluxe and I have always had the dealer service it. This year I decided to try to change the oil myself. I started by running it for 6 minutes in the drive way and then I checked the oil level, like it says in the manual. The oil level was really high so I pulled about 17 oz. out of the engine and got it down to about the Full line. The last time I had the oil changed was a year ago and I ran it about 20 hours last year like this. I saw somewhere overfilling the oil can cause a problem with the air filter or something. I would take it back to the dealer but obviously don't really trust them. Any thoughts on what to check? Thanks

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Pull the air filter and look for signs of oil contamination. You need a new filter if there is any oil. You might consider and R&D filter, which is a little cheaper, but a better filter (scroll down): ISLAND RACING

The other problem overfilling the oil causes is fouled spark plugs, but you should be OK if it is running OK and hitting around 8000 rpm.

Very common to see the dealers make this mistake, I've lost count of the number of posts that say the same thing.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the help I will take a look at the air filter this afternoon and see if I have a a problem.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts