Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any info on the SuperCharger as far as rebuilds or maintenance. I've heard that they need to be rebuilt at certain intervals. Mine is running good at 100hrs but i want to be proactive and do whats needed before its too late. Thanks.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Take it with a grain of salt, but I've heard the Yamaha superchargers don't need rebuilding. Something about material quality and type that's different from sea-doos.

I've read this on numerous forums, as well as checked the official Yamaha maintenance schedule (which doesn't mention anything about rebuilding the supercharger).

I'm not an expert, just reporting what I've found (and haven't found). If someone knows better than me, please correct me.

Edit: I have heard that a blow off valve will do wonders for saving on wear and tear on the supercharger. If you haven't installed one yet I'd highly recommend it. Easy enough to do on your own. Sounds good too as you let off the throttle.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Does anyone have any info on the SuperCharger as far as rebuilds or maintenance. I've heard that they need to be rebuilt at certain intervals. Mine is running good at 100hrs but i want to be proactive and do whats needed before its too late. Thanks.
The Manual and Yamaha state 800 hours for the Supercharger kit if driven normally, if you are the type that likes to rev the engine while it's out of the water then it could need a clutch in a very short time.
Yamaha says to not rev the engine out of the water whether it's connected to a hose or not as this will or at least can make the clutch wear a lot faster as quite a few owners have found out.
I have read of owners replacing their clutches after only 50 hours use lol.
As with all things mechanical, ride it hard and fast in the water and all good, sit reving it out of the water and like so many youtubes show people doing with cars and bikes they may blow up or break something.
I have over 500 hours on my SHO with not a single problem with the SC and every service it only needs the normal things done, the only extra I had done was all the hose clamps replaced with good quality stainless ones as my 2008 didn't have Stainless ones and they all slowly desolved, which I found out a reasonable distance from shore when one just gave out, lucky I could let it cool a little then limped back into shore nice an slow with no problems.
Our local life guards used the SHO for quite a few years and usually sold them on after they had 2000 hours on them, Yamaha say 4000 hours is normal for a maintained 1800 engine.
The SC kit is only $154 where I live and not a difficult thing to do.
It's the clutch that is a lot more expensive and as long as you never rev the engine hard out of the water it should last longer than the 800 hours for the bearings and sleeves.
A blow off valve is recommended and I upgraded my intercooler with an after market larger better designed one than standard and it came with a good quality BOV.
I personally don't like the sound they make but it gives me more power and better cooling as it came with an extra cooling kit and a direct water supply from the jet pump to the IC so this keeps the engine cooler as well as cooler water into the IC which increases the performance of the SC as cooler air gives better performance so a win win.
Of course it does come at a cost, but I mean who buys a Jet Ski to save money :)
It's why I bought a Second Hand unit for only $500 with very low hours and spent a further $3500 for performance and reliability mods and still saved over $17K over the cost of a new SHO, in my eyes well worth it and I don't see much difference between the newest ones and mine other than the colour :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts