Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a new GTX '09 (155 hp). It currently has six (6) hours on it. I have properly followed the breaking in period. ( I have only used the learner key thus far). Problem: I have noticed white smoke coming from the rear of the machine when idling in water (no wake zones). Seems to run OK but I have some concerns since my '07 GTX (with 80 hours) has never done this. Any advise would be appeciated. (The dealer where I bought it is NO HELP and I refuse to go back there ever again. This forum is not large enough for me to even begin to explain the reasons for this.)

Thankyou to anyone who offers advice.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. The oil level is fine. Forget to mention that the machine also stalled once as my wife was driving it back onto the floating dock and she said a code came up on the dash board. All she remembers is that it began with a "P". I understand this code will correspond to a specific diagnostic result, but not knowing the exact code displayed, that seems like a dead end. This occurred at around three (3) hours on the machine and it hasn't happened again. Maybe I am being paranoid, but again I had such a horrible experience when I bought this PWC three weeks ago, I sometimes think it's going to turn into a lemon. Thanks again!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fedorov5549

I stand corrected, when you suggested the oil level, it got me thinking. Although I have checked the oil more than a few times since buying the PWC, I incorrectly was not checking the oil when the craft was level. I have since checked it while level on the trailer, and lo and behold, there is too much oil according to the reading I see on the dipstick. I plan on doing an oil/filter change tommorow and will make sure the proper amount of oil is installed. (Unlike the dealer!!)

Thanks again. You save me some $$ and aggravation.

Bob

·
Registered
227 Posts
Well, the real way to check oil is to warm it up first. Then stop the machine for at least 30 seconds. Then check the oil level. On oil changes I can get sometimes 4 quarts/liters in but it's usually just 3. You'll need to change your spark plugs also.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts