Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I am new to the forum and for the most part PWC as well. We have owned inboard boats for some time, but last year helped a friend get a 2009 VX Cruiser. Almost flawless with only 46 hours, and runs amazing. I was looking at ways to do preventative maintenance before even getting the ski. I read so much about D Plates for Yamaha engines that I had her order one on the tow home from buying.

Fast forward to today I am about to tear it apart to install and doesn't look like there is anywhere to put it! There is no larger pipe where a cat may be. What am I missing, or is it not necessary on these newer(ish) years?

Thanks in advance! Go easy on me

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Hello, welcome to the forum.
To the best of my knowledge the D-plate was only used on the 2stroke GPR 1200/1300's, & XL/XLT 1200's. I don't know of them being used on any of the 4 stroke skis. The 09 vx is 4 stroke and I'm pretty confident there is no D-plate for it. What does it say on your packaging for what it fits? Usually has a fitment list. Make and model.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the response and the 2 stroke makes sense now that you say that. This is a 4 stroke and I will have to check out the package and listing again.

Any other preventative maintenance advice is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
On that ski, you need to change air and fuel filters. Grease the center shaft. Check the feel of all your cables. Meaning, no tight spots, hang ups, or binding. Lube the steering nozzle and reverse bucket pivot points.

Change the oil/filter. This becomes a critical point. There is a specific way it must be done and I'm not exactly sure how. (I'm a 2 stroke guy.) I know that you have to suction it out. Measure, and return same amount. Not sure on specifics for this model. I suggest finding a manual. You may find a downloadable version here under general discussion - manuals above. Or search ebay for a factory manual. This is all that come to mind at the moment.
At 46 hrs sounds like you found a decent ski if we'll kept.
I bought an 02 GPR a few yrs back that had 26hrs. Practically new and very well kept. Pic below.
I'm not very familiar with the 4 stroke skis. but I'll answer questions as best I can and or find you an answer or direct you to one.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks so much for all that information. I believe the ski came with a manual so I will check that out today. Friends/mine was on a river in TN and owned by an older family that apparently acted like it was his baby. He passed away and the granddaughter had a kid on the way so needed gone. Has the typical scuffs they will get, runs amazing. Test driving it on a choppy day I had it up to 58 mph, and was peppy!

Stripped the decals and she remade some in a flake purple. Great looking ride. First pic posting here so who knows how this is going to look haha.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No that is our local lake! We boat on Percy Priest in Nashville, TN and bought the ski from Chattanooga, TN.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Cool, shore line in pic looked like river bank.
I ride the back bays here. I went on open bay once. Was to rough for me. Up home in Western NY I ride the finger lakes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts