Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all. brief background on myself. i am completely new to owning and operating a PWC. the other day i bought a new vx cruiser took it out, put an hour and a half on it. everything was great. today put another hour and a half on it. i started getting a warning light with beeping then the engine hot light went on. i taxi'd into the dock took the seat off and let the craft cool off for about 20 mins. started up and the light and beep went away. took'er for a spin, shortly thereafter the RPMs would fly but i wouldnt move. i checked for seaweed in the intake grate several times and it was clean. there was i guess youd say alot of smoke coming from the exhaust ports, mainly the one on the left side of the craft ( i think left is starboard?). i taxi'd into the dock and ate lunch while i let the craft cool with the seat off. and took it on one more spin to make sure it was just that it was hot or if something was actually broken to see if i needed to take it to my dealer for repair. it worked just fine after letting it cool. honestly i guess i might have been a little rough on the engine for it being brand new but thats just it, should a brand new engine be over heating like this? sorry for the rant but for the best advice you need to provide details. thanks in advance. p.s. waverunners are so much fun

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Sounds like you have something in the cooling system causing a blockage. On the FX models debris will sometimes clog the thermostat. It is a pretty easy fix, to remove the thermostat (on the right side of the oil tank) and clean it. There will be a cooling water line attached to it. Since yours is new, I'd take it back to the dealer and let them make sure all the cooling passages are clear. You may have sucked up sand or other debris.

Look at the intake grate and impeller area first to be sure there is no debris there blocking the inlet cooling passage. (I know you already checked, but look carefully with a flashlight. There is a little port there that may have something stuck in it).

That outlet on the left (port) side of the ski is for water over flow from the cooling system. It should not be smoke, but occasionally it may look like steam. The right side (starboard) outlet will only have output at high RPM.

Don't continue to run it until it is fixed. You are going to cook your new engine.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts