Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am purchasing a brand new 2010 Yamaha FX HO that is not going to be put in the water this year. I am just having the dealer shrink wrap it and put it on a trailer for the winter. Does the unit come from the factory with oil and all other fluids in it ? What is the proper way to store this unit since it will not be run this season? The dealer told me he will wrap it and set it up in the spring, is that OK? I'm thinking I should have him run it when I pick it up, but I am new to this and do not know what to do. I live in NJ and the unit will be stored outside for the winter. Thanks for any help you can provide.:)

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
I think (but not absolutely sure) they come from the factory with the oil in them........at least the older model FXs did. On the older models when you went into a showroom and pulled off the seat, you would find a sticker that warned the dealer not to add oil, even though it might not be visible on the dipstick, since the correct level was already in place.

Definitely best not to run it before storage if it is a brand new machine. If it is a new never run machine there will be no water to freeze in the engine, no gas to go bad in the tank, no crap to corrode in the cylinders. If you run it you will have to go through the whole winterization process: add Sta-bil to the gas, fog the engine, etc.. It will still be under warranty in the spring, so just get a garantee form the dealer that he will do all the normal prep work to make sure it is ready to go then.

I would recommend pulling the battery and putting it on a tender (like the Battery Tender Junior) over the winter. Not a bad idea to cover the whole thing with a tarp, and get the trailer tires off the ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts