Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can get the two skis for about the same money... they seems to have equal performance, but the vxs burn way less fuel. Comments?

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Both machines are fast around 67 mph. The VXR will be a little more bouncy and wetter ride, because the hull is flatter. The SHO will be more stable in the rough stuff and it will also burned significantly more fuel because of the supercharged engine.

For younger single riders, I would consider the VXR. For more of a family machine I would skip the SHO and look at the FX HO instead. You get a very similar ride, better gas mileage, and just a few miles an hour lower speed.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for the reply... Define younger :) I am 40ish and have a 8 and 14 year old. I just sold the STX 1100 DI and am getting ready to pull the trigger on a VXR. The boy and I spent a lot of time on the STX, but also spend of fair amount of time tooling about by myself.

I really miss my old 650 stand up and am hoping the VXR will fill me need for speed and still allow some family time with two up and three up riding. Am I making a 10K mistake in getting the VXR..... I rode a Sea Doo RXT and was not real impressed.... When looking at the VXR, I have concerns that three will fit on that seat. The VXS seat would be better for 3 up riding, but the VXR seat makes the look of the SKI IMHO...

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
If you are going to be riding 3 most of the time, you might want to spend a little more money and look at the FX HO or SHO. Both are longer heavier skis, and more stable for multiple riders. The VXR is going to definitely be more of a "sporty" ride, and better suited for single riders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ernest T - thanks for all of your insight and experience regarding the Yamaha skis… You addressed every question I had with a timely and articulate response. Much appreciated.

That said, I am taking delivery of a new Kawasaki STX 15F tomorrow. I could not pass up the deal, $7300 for a new never titled 2010 with full warranty. Hope it is not a mistake, but for the 3k plus price difference I could not justify the Yamaha… Thanks again.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts