Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a used 2013 Waverunner and it runs hot on the freshwater lake. After about an hour the first time it overheated and limped back the dock. Over the summer its now about 20min of use and its overheats. I took it out with the hose hooked up and it just spits out the left pisser (not a good steady stream). Should I turn up the water pressure?

What do I do next? Any help is appreciated!

Dave:tango_face_sad:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks I used the trick of clamping off the exhaust hose to force the water deep i
nto the engine. That did the trick and the flow out the port side is no normal and its not overheating (not really tested on the lake yet)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
thanks I used the trick of clamping off the exhaust hose to force the water deep i
nto the engine. That did the trick and the flow out the port side is no normal and its not overheating (not really tested on the lake yet)
Ok, let me make sure I understand your message correctly. DURING FLUSHING YOU CLAMPED OFF THE COOLING WATER INFEED LINE? and it didn't overheat?
If that's the case check the indeed screen in the left side of the pump. It may be partially blocked with debris. It's a small 4 bolt cover on left side of the jet pump. Or the inlet passage may be restricted with corrosion.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I took it out the lake and the water flows well from the left port......However about 15min of riding.... it overheated again. I will take it out and then take off the inlet screen on the left side of the pump and check and then clean it out if needed. When this 4 bolt cover is removed will I need to order and install new gaskets for this cover?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
If your careful you should be ok. It's O-ring sealed so you should be able to reuse it.

After reading your other post the problem becomes a little clearer.
Is this by chance a saltwater ski?
Is it flushed with saltaway after use?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Today I took out the water intake and the white plastic housing was cracked (see pics) this then pushed the o-rings out of place. I am guessing and hoping this is THE cause of not getting significant water to cool the engine after about 20min of use?????There is also signs of salt in the metal bracket (so this indicates it was used in salt water) My hope is replacing this will fix my overheating issue. Any thoughts to this being the cause of overheating on the water?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
I agree, it uppears to have been used in saltwater. Unless it was leaking severely at the seams around that screen I don't think that that is the whole problem.

Inside the pump where that plastic screen came out of. there is a hole that leads inside the ski to the motor. Make sure that hole is clean and clear. It should be about 7/16 of an inch in diameter. I suspect that the hole may be corroded and closed up restricting flow. If there is corrosion, try Forcing either white vinegar or CLR into the hole with say a turkey baster. This should help break down any corrosion. Just be sure to rinse with water after it sets a while.

You can order your needed parts from Babbittsonline go to OEM parts, Yamaha, pwc, yr, model, jet pump 1. Part # 9, & 10 see pic.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, I ordered 9 and 10 and they are coming next week.

I looked in that tube and it looked totally clear. My deep fear is this was a rental ski used in salt water and they did care enough to flush it out after use. Thus the engine block would be more of same rock hard salt deep inside the cooling chambers. This would explain that using the hose its fine, but at high speed and running hot, the chambers cant get the heat out over a 20min and overheats......? is then a complete engine tear down costing $$$?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
I believe this ski has seen saltwater. However I don't believe it was a rental. Rentals usually have 600/700 hrs on them by the time there sold off.

Yes paying someone to clean out corrosion would be pricey. I suspect you have a restriction between the manifold and head.

Based on the schematic below. Water comes in through the exhaust manifold then into the head and motor. They can be small passages and easily blocked.

Does your left pisser originate on the exhaust or motor? Do you have a pisser on the right? If so where does it originate from?
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks, this was a rental that I figured out after I bought it..

It had no trailer, new seat cover (salt kills vinyl), he sold many of the same models on CL out his garage, and lastly you can see the rental number on the hood of the ski. I bought for $2900 with 141 hours and it look good.

I hope that this is just some blockage (but where? and how do you find it? ). The left pisser comes off the exhaust manifold on top....There is no right side pisser.

What leads me to salt corrosion is the water flows fine out the port side and is just barely warm after about 10min. on the hose...... BUT when we run it on the lake for about 20min it overheats with water is coming out the port pisser.

The engine block it VERY hot, but the rest is OK to the touch.....My fear is this metal block is full of salt deposits and the guy knew it when he sold it. Maybe a rental company that went bust and they did not care about the resale.

What are my next steps?

- Salt Away - looks like its more preventative than get out salt
- Pull the head and look inside? $$

This is really something you cant see, until you run it hard and it overheats....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,463 Posts
I know I've been asking a lot of questions. Sorry, I'm trying to get a good handle on the problem before making a recommendation. Unfortunately I think your conclusion is correct and it is aligned with mine as well. It could be 2 possible causes for your overheating.
1) it has a bunch of salt corrosion inside restricting water flow.
2) it's been run aground/beached and has a ton of sand in the motor. (Have seen cooling jackets filled with sand)

Yes salt away is a preventative. Won't help remove corrosion.

Would be best to check temp sensor before any further work and verify its reading correct temp.

I would start by removing the exhaust manifold and pipes and see what you find in the small passages between the manifold/head intersection. As well as traped in the water jacket of the pipes. Then you'll have to move on to head removal if you don't find much of anything. my conclusion is based on your information and stating the motor is far hotter than the exhaust. But all indications are clugged/restricted water jacket.

If it's corrosion there are products that will remove it from the exhaust. But to do so on the head would require a complete disassembly. And I'm not sure how you would clean the block with it.
Pics are of a gpr exhaust that I cleaned out years of non flushing of saltwater riding. Being 2 stroke I soaked the cyl's, head, and exhaust. In a tote mixed with this cleaner. You must be careful as this stuff eats alluminum also. So your walking a fine line between corrosion removal and alluminum damage.
This cleaner is very pricey. That 5 gal jug was about $100 my cost. Only used about 3 gal as it is mixed 50/50 with water.
 

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top