Personal Water Craft Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While changing the spark plugs preparing my ski for this coming season, I noticed corrosion on each plug between the drive hex and the rubber boot attachment area. What could be the cause? Thank you.

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Hi Ray,
Welcome to the forum.
Can you post a picture of the corrosion? Do you ride salt or fresh water?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Ray,
Welcome to the forum.
Fresh water only.
Hi Ray,
Welcome to the forum.
Hi Dave, thank you for the response. The ski has only been in fresh water. Here is a picture of the plugs. They are maybe two years old. Thank you for your consideration.

Ray Pollard

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
Ray, that is odd looking for sure. Could it be from condensation during off season storage? Do you keep it inside or out during off season. Is there any other signs of corrosion on anything in engine bay? Or it could be a poorly plated set of plugs.
If there is any other corrosion in engine bay I'd definitely say condensation. Mine is stored outside wrapped in shrink wrap but I leave the seat and front compartment unlatched and small piece of wood under them to allow for ventilation. Plus I dry it out completely before closing up. You could even put in a desiccant package or two if you think it's condensation.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ray, that is odd looking for sure. Could it be from condensation during off season storage? Do you keep it inside or out during off season. Is there any other signs of corrosion on anything in engine bay? Or it could be a poorly plated set of plugs.
If there is any other corrosion in engine bay I'd definitely say condensation. Mine is stored outside wrapped in shrink wrap but I leave the seat and front compartment unlatched and small piece of wood under them to allow for ventilation. Plus I dry it out completely before closing up. You could even put in a desiccant package or two if you think it's condensation.
Dave, I see no other signs of corrosion of any kind, with the exception of the two screws that hold the cover over the valley down. They show a little oxidation. I did not shrink wrap the ski the last two years, yet the cover keeps the rain out it may not stop moisture out. Blocking the hatches sounds like a great idea. I was concerned about and head gasket or water jacket leak. Thank you again for your consideration. Ray

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I'm still thinking a combination of condensation and maybe poor plating on the plug base. If there is a cover over the plugs it may be holding moisture in there.
This wouldn't be from head gasket leak. And the plug show no sign of an internal leak either.
I'd say your good. If you close it up tight get some good sized desiccant packs. Some of the larger cloth ones can be reused by drying them in the oven on low for a couple hrs.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ray, I'm sure this response is coming from "Captain Obvious" but seeing as how the oxidation on the plugs is north of the head into which they are screwed, the moisture must have provided the means for it. Dave said it best when he indicated that he ventilated his engine bay with the wooden block to allow air circulation. Although I just took my skis out of winter storage a few weeks ago (one of the (other) benefits of living in the south) I had them on a trickle charger, seats moved quite a bit off for ventilation, my front storage area blocked open to allow air, they were also covered and in the garage. IMO, that's about as ideal as it gets and I think one must avail themselves of all the resources they have at their disposal to get as close to that as possible.

Besides that blather, I would only be concerned as to the conditions that allowed the oxidation and not the oxidation itself. Clearly the plugs - although being changed - were not adversely affected by it. But if the oxidation is on them, the question would be, "Where else might it have formed?"

Thanks for making this an awesome forum, y'all!

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts